A Glitch Project hosted at a subdomain of the subdomain of another glitch project has been keeping my project on 24/7, and now I have 200 hours racked up on the project

There has been some sort of keep-alive glitch app that has been keeping my project on 24/7, and now I have 200 hours racked up on the project.

After looking on a project monitor I had set up called New Relic, I found a glitch project hosting at a.lc.glitch.me was the culprit. I’m wondering if there is a way to figure out the origin of the glitch project in question since the lc.glitch.me project that fell victim to the subdomain of a subdomain thing is probably not related to this. (Glitch has their projects set up in a way that allows a user to host another glitch project under a subdomain of a glitch project [Or in this case, a subdomain of a subdomain])

Can the project in question hosting itself at this sub-subdomain be taken down? I’d prefer the project in question to not burn up all of my hours on this.

(This may be from another kid at the school I go to since the acronym for my school is LC, but I’m not sure.)

It went down an hour ago, and in my stupidity I was testing how they put it there and used THE SAME DOMAIN THEY USED.

if this is the domain that appears, please don’t ban it: https://lc-bell-schedule-api.glitch.me/ This is the project domain that was being pinged.

ooh how do you do that?

1 Like

Strange, never heard of that! :thinking:

You just set a custom domain to a subdomain of another glitch project.

I.E. {your project}.{their project}.glitch.me

2 Likes

@glitch_support Is this a expected functionality? Or is it a bug? Is there any way of reporting a project with a domain like this?

Hi there, this is a strange one! @ABUCKY could you provide a bit more detail about where you got the information about the domain with “a.lc” in it? Having had a quick look I’m not seeing any project that would map to that domain (or understanding how it would happen!)

1 Like

Glitch probably uses wildcard domains, which in something like cloudflare would look something like this: *.glitch.me or [*].glitch.me. Glitch projects uses the same DNS routing in glitch that a custom domain uses.

This means that a glitch project, because it uses glitch.edgeapp.net, can set a custom domain to be a subdomain of another project, and because glitch doesn’t host anything there automatically (Site Not Found page), a project can take it over.

i.e. Say I have a domain called abucky.glitch.me. I could go into the custom domain settings of another project and set a custom domain to something like anything.abucky.glitch.me and it would work.

You can see a live example of this on ex.otherhost.glitch.me.

“Victim Site”: otherhost.glitch.me
“Main Site”: otherhost-ex.glitch.me
“Custom Subdomain”: ex.otherhost.glitch.me

The site under main site should be hosting a custom domain at ex.otherhost.glitch.me.

2 Likes

Wow, interesting! Is this a intended feature @glitch_support?

cool find! interesting that their https cert generation doesn’t work on these sites

1 Like

Just an update that the team is looking into this. I’ve only been able to find one project that had the domain added and it’s the one you mentioned above @ABUCKY that you’d added it to temporarily for testing, so I haven’t been able to find a Glitch project causing this so far, but we’re looking into the custom domains functionality to see if we can find out more. Might be later this week before we have a more useful update for you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.