Ability to change the Waking Up/Preparing screen

It would be great if we were able to change the waking up/preparing screen as the project starts up.

More specifically to one made by the user.

YES PLEASE, Iā€™m out of votes :frowning::sob:

7 Likes

Well this restarting project for users/visitors will make them think whether their internet is slow or the server is abandoned. So i would suggest you to keep an option to enable or disable the ā€œrestarting serverā€ message for visitors, so this confusion donā€™t arise

1 Like

Hey there,

Nice suggestion!
Even so, I donā€™t think that ā€œRestarting Projectā€ signifies that the userā€™s network is slow and thus, the app is being restarted.
It would have perhaps, been changed it to ā€œYour Network Connection is slow,ā€ if that was the case.
And yes, I agree, they should probably add an additional line containing as to why the Glitch app was restarted in the first place. For instance, ā€œRestarting project due to inactivity.ā€

Keep Glitching!

3 Likes

Well I agree with what you!

But not everyone in the world will read whats been the problem when they see some error message, they will just quit surfing.
What Iā€™m proposing is instead of having restarting server quote just leave the page blank until the server loads up then the user might think there might be some connectivity issue and might wait.

1 Like

Hey @rajeevkrao, thanks for the suggestion! This seems pretty close to Ability to change the Waking Up/Preparing screen, so Iā€™m going to merge the two topics. Please feel free to add your vote there as well!

4 Likes

@cori and when can we expect to get this thing implemented

Hi @rajeevkrao Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t provide any sort of timeline on this. Itā€™s not something weā€™re actively working on and our roadmap is pretty full right now, so itā€™ll probably be a while before we get to it, assuming we choose to work on it at all.

Thatā€™s not to say that itā€™s not a good suggestion; weā€™re just a small team and have to prioritize what we work on.

3 Likes

I guess you or your team should prioritize this for having 19 votes for this thread

1 Like

maybe put something in glitch.json
ā€œstartupScreenā€:ā€œloading.htmlā€
but you would have to inject the script to check if the server is ready,
or the template must include script src = ā€œglitch.com/somethinglike/checkload.jsā€

5 Likes

Hi @cori. Is there any possibility of this feature arriving anytime soon, or is the roadmap still full?

1 Like

This kinda feature would be quite good if implemented properly, honestly I donā€™t think users should be given control over the html, but maybe the ability to have their own logo along side of Glitchs and a little custom blurb of text.

1 Like

Hey, @support_staff. Iā€™m wondering if your considering adding this feature since its the most voted feature and this thread is over 1 year old. It would be really cool to allow custom loading screens or some way to customise it. (e.g remove the drag mouse to draw lines as its annoying)

4 Likes

ya know what, i agree, we need this

4 Likes

I think I have a solution:

1. Make a very simple server script which starts very quick
  2. Make this script start the main application and show the Loading screen
  3. Stop listening on port and let the main app work when the main application is ready

It wonā€™t prevent Glitch from showing ā€˜Preparingā€™ screen which tells that node packages are being installed, but as a workaround it might be the good solution.

1 Like

Okay, I outta votes but hereā€™s something: should I ping @support_staff? Oh wait, Iā€™ve already pinged them!

1 Like

Hi! Glad you asked!

The Support team regularly collects and shares data about what issues are being brought up in the forum and which feature ideas are getting the most votes. So thanks for voting! This data is shared with the team.

Right now, weā€™ve got a whole bunch of projects on our roadmap that we are working on. If we decide to take this up, Iā€™ll let you know!

7 Likes

Since Glitch projects sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity, when you enter the page (project Iā€™m working on: https://libr.glitch.me) you face the Loading... screen. The only issue is that it doesnā€™t fit your website what-so-ever. Is there anyway to change it or is this comming soon. If there is no way to change it then I hope it will become a feature. ;D

(If I made any grammar/punctuational mistakes then please donā€™t complain)

3 Likes

When you say ā€˜it doesnā€™t fit your websiteā€™ do you mean your own site as opposed to ours? Weā€™re working at the moment on a more neutral design for the loading screen. We donā€™t have plans to make it user-configurable, but if we did itā€™d likely be a paid-for feature down the line.

4 Likes

I mean user-made websiteā€™s. Not Glitchā€™s website.

1 Like