An update on pinging services + Glitch

Either way, people will be annoyed. I don’t see the point of changing the amount of time until sleep

1 Like

Why can’t it be 5 minutes. 5 minutes is enough for a user to explore your site. I don’t see why a user would take more than 5 minutes between nagivating your sites. If you have long content you can just split it into pages

3 Likes

I wonder if this will be the downfall of Glitch? :thinking:

I mean, they had a huge uprising when the Discord community found place on Glitch, but with them gone, the popularity will lower.

13 Likes

It’s not a big change, but it’s something.

I host a discord bot, not a website.

Maybe they will see that as a good thing. Less users mean more stability

1 Like

That indeed is a good thing, at least then people will consider buying the pro plan, and then get income. But at this point I can already see a popularity graph falling, fast.

1 Like

Nah Glitch is too ease of use, and easy to deploy. I’m sure Glitch will only suffer a minor loss because of this. We will lose most of the discord community though.

2 Likes

It sucks that this had to happen, but 100% understand why this needed to be done. Onward!

3 Likes

I can see this being a big issue for discord bot devs. Not sure however.

Buy the pro plan then. Glitch is designed for websites not discord bots. If you changed the timeout to something like 1 hour, then there would be a lot of websites up not doing anything and it would make glitch’s resource bill a lot higher.

5 Likes

Glitch will still be a great platform for developing Discord bots and seeing near-instant results of changes. I never saw Glitch as a great place to host Discord bots anyway, I’ve always stuck to using it for APIs and hobby projects.

6 Likes

I guess you can build and test on Glitch and then deploy somewhere else

2 Likes

A lot of users use Glitch for Discord bots, I would be interested to see how that impacts Glitch. I hope that the webdev community will discover Glitch.

4 Likes

Hey there - I totally understand the frustration and encourage you to use whichever platform best suits your needs – and I totally understand that Glitch may not be the one right now! Hopefully it will be again in the future for you. All I ask is that while you’re in this forum you be respectful and kind to (and about) others.

10 Likes

@jenn, have Glitch considered moving away from AWS? Considered cheaper services? I’m not protesting or anything, I’m just curious.

4 Likes

I haven’t really had my ear to the ground on infrastructure discussions at the cloud resource level, honestly. But having moved from one service to another at a previous job, it’s not a simple or cheap task!

5 Likes

The company I’m working for moved from AWS to self-hosted (we bought a bunch of servers and stuff and set it up in Germany, that was fun). If it wasn’t for the flight tickets, hotel rooms and transport we’d nearly not pay anything. We have co-location with Contabo. Moving all of our services was just a bit time consuming, but not really expensive.

I’m sorry, but I don’t really see how moving from AWS to another hosting provider will be all that expensive? Can you clarify?

5 Likes

@ihack2712 i count time and resources as part of the expense!

8 Likes

Right! Well that would make more sense.

1 Like