auroraOS is an OS in your browser. Completely written from scratch over two months, it features a beautiful GUI, a fast window manager, package loading, application APIs, and more.
New developer preview available at auroraos-dev.
Current version: 20.06, Build 101
P.S. Thanks to Jenn for tweeting about auroraOS, it means a lot to us!
auroraOS is still a work in progress, so feedback is appreciated!
Try it out!
Please note that the default GUI theme is laggy; feel free to open Settings and switch to a faster theme.
The demo filesystem is persistent and all files are visible to everyone. Please do not write any personal information to the filesystem.
- How does auroraOS work?
- auroraOS revolves around packages, somewhat like Linux. When a package is started, auroraOS fetches the script from the server and executes it while exposing many package APIs like
package.resource, which allows a package to retrieve files in its directory, and
package.createWindow, which creates a window under the designated window manager. Even the window manager is a package!
- What am I allowed to do with auroraOS?
- View our Terms of Service for more info.
- Why was auroraOS created?
- How are passwords encrypted?
- Passwords are encrypted using Bcrypt, a library that automatically salts and scales strength to keep up with modern technology.
- When will a documentation be made?
- How do I update auroraOS versions?
- For now, there is no auto-update system planned, unless I somehow integrate it with the Market. You must currently remix the demo and transfer your files, or pull from Github.
Join the Discord server for more frequent updates.