auroraOS is an OS in your browser. Completely written from scratch over two months, it features a beautiful GUI, a fast window manager, package loading, application APIs, and more.
Current version: 4.5, Build 84
P.S. Thanks to Jenn for tweeting about auroraOS, it means a lot to us!
auroraOS is still a work in progress; this can really be seen in the Market app and the Files app, so feedback is appreciated!
Try it out!
Please note that the default GUI theme is laggy; feel free to open Settings and switch to a faster theme.
The demo filesystem is persistent and all files are visible to everyone. Please do not write any personal information to the filesystem.
- How does auroraOS work?
- auroraOS revolves around packages, somewhat like Linux. When a package is started, auroraOS fetches the script from the server and executes it while exposing many package APIs like
package.resource, which allows a package to retrieve files in its directory, and
package.createWindow, which creates a window under the designated window manager. Even the window manager is a package!
- What am I allowed to do with auroraOS?
- View our Terms of Service for more info.
- Why was auroraOS created?
- When will a documentation be made?
- When will auroraOS 5.0 come out?
- Sometime before June.
- What will auroraOS 5.0 bring?
- Complete rewrite of the server-side script [Complete]
- More modularity [Complete]
- Multi-user abilities and permissions, including file permissions and more [Complete]
- A better file manager [Complete]
- A much better window manager that is separated into a package and not spaghetti integrated with the main code [Complete]
- Working Market [Complete]
- Much better and faster OS APIs [Complete]
- A terminal that actually behaves like a terminal
- An actual file picker
- More intricate Settings
- How do I update auroraOS versions?
- For now, there is no auto-update system planned, unless I somehow integrate it with the Market. You must currently remix the demo and transfer your files, or pull from Github.
- Do you have a Discord server?
Everything except the Tetris app and icon was created by me.