Avoiding img rotation

I am working on a build your first websitge tutorials and want to post a message about how not to have large verticals image rotate when you upload them to glitch?
What is the ratio or height that triggers rotation.

On my sites I just use CSS to fix but that is too hard for a beginner lesson.

Hey @jgmac1106 I’m unfamiliar with the behavior yur mention; do you have an example I can take a look at?

It seems some large vertical images will rotate when uploaded as an asset.
You can see an example here: https://glitch.com/~jgmac1106
Once I changed the dimensions by cropping it didn’t rotate.
In most of my projects I keep a bit of CSS to rotate my vertical images.

Hmmm, thanks for the example image. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce this reliably - the first time I uploaded the sample image to a new project it showed up rotated 90º to the left, but subsequent uploads from various sizes of the same image, including the original size, all uploaded correctly.

I’m going to keep trying to find a reliable reproduction; if you have any suspicions from your experiments I’d be happy to hear them!

Okay I will note when it happens and post to this thread.

Not a huge problem., but an interesting bug.

This project has a bunch of the rotated images: https://majesticlady.glitch.me/ Since it was client work I used CSS to rotate the image or I cropped them to be less wider rectangles which always does the trick.

You are right though I can’t figure out a pattern I can do the same image multiple times and sometimes it rotates and other time it does not.

It’s interesting to me that you need to rotate those via CSS. When I look at the rotated images displayed in the assets drawer they appear rotated, but when I access the CDN url directly they aren’t, which is what I’d expect from the webpage display as well.

Looking at some of the images, I can see three that report the same dimensions but different filesizes, two of which (the largest one and the smallest one) are rotated.

All in all quite puzzling.

Can you confirm for me your browser and OS?

MacOS 10.13.6

FF Dev 69.o.b6

Yes it is interesting sometimes in the CDN preview they appear rotated but will appear fine and other times images will appear rotated and display rotated.