Can a project (name) be renamed?

So, I create a new project, and get something like https://hyperdev.com/#!/project/adjective-noun. Sometimes, I don’t like the adjective or the noun, like “scary-dentist” (guessing here, but I’ve seen comparable names), and I want to change the project name. Is that possible, and if so: how?

I asking this because it’s not only the project in development mode, but that name is also used for hosting the application, like https://scary-dentist.hyperdev.space/. Obviously, I might do some CNAME DNS record setup from a domain (with a nice name) I control, but renaming the project from HyperDev could also be a possibility.

(For comparison, Heroku also hands out random application names on project creation, but those projects, and the URLs the applications are served from, can be renamed.)

1 Like

Yes, you can rename projects by clicking on the project name to open the project options menu, then click inside the project name in the menu to rename it:

After you edit the name to be what you want it will be saved and served from the new name. We don’t currently set up any redirects from the old name so any links referencing the old name will break. We have plans to address the redirects eventually, but haven’t yet started on them.

1 Like

Oh… that’s a subtle feature :slight_smile: Couldn’t find it in the documentation. Thanks.

Yeah, we had to rush out the release which added the ability, so we’re fixing a few things up before announcing the changes.

is project editing disabled right now? I can’t rename projects, change their descriptions, export/import from github. Everyone says to use dropdown for projects, but I only see leave project, delete, & pin.

It sounds like you’re looking at your profile page. You can do those other actions from the top-left project info menu in the editor.

Ok, I’ve figured it out. I kept trying to do it from the project listing. Thanks!

how to rename in 2022?

1 Like

Hi @hacketst2

You can rename your project form the project page. This help article shows you how to find it:

How do I change my project’s options?

1 Like

but this doesn’t work ( osx, chrome) – it just says project not found instead.
it was suggested that this means the name is taken, but I am prefixing with my name and course code – it seems impossible

@hex705 thanks for letting me know! I’m sorry about that. This sounds like it is related to a bug that recently popped up. Our team is working on a fix.

In the meantime, can you send us a support request so that we can help you further? We may be able to manually update the project name for you.

1 Like

submitted ticket.

s

I am facing the same issue, both at the Project-info page as well as the top-left settings link.
Should I raise a ticket? or is there any other fix

Hi there, your project name can’t include underscores!

Tried other combination like below
fastapi-on-glitch
fastapiOnGlitch
fastapi
fastapiglitch

None of the above works… So I am unable to understand what I am missing… My app link for ref

Hmm are you seeing the same error message each time? If you can attach any errors in the browser developer tools console that might help us troubleshoot. It might also be worth trying to clear your browser cache.