Can i see files written to .data or when they change?

i’m just curious what can be done with .data. Currently i’m compiling my Sass to a css folder within the .data directory. It works fine so far but i don’t seem to be able to see the file written in the editor or have any visual indication when the file changes or updates. I think these would be very useful for collaborators on a project to be able to see.

Data files are copied over when remixing a project

Hi Joshua,

.data is more suited for storing things like a file database (SQLite or NeDB): the characteristic of this folder is that it won’t be “remixed” by people that are remixing your project.

On the other hand, you can place the build files wherever you prefer in your project, if they don’t contain sensitive data.

Unfortunately, we don’t yet support officially seeing changes that happen outside of the editor, but it’s a work in progress. The closest thing you can try, but it’s kind of cumbersome, is placing the results in a directory that the editor will open (the editor doesn’t open files in directories that start with a dot).

To then see the results, you can force the refresh of the editor my editing a .gitignore file (you can just add comments, #, inside this file so they won’t have any effect). The editor will refresh after 10 seconds and you will be able to see the auto-generated files.

We understand that this is far from optimal or pleasant, but we’ll provide a better way soon :slight_smile:

Does this answer your question?

It does answer my question. I just wanted to see the files written in .data in the editor if I am the project owner or member.