Could you keep Ghost up to date?

So yeah, I’ve found Glitch about a month ago and found out you guys offer remixing of Ghost project,
which is very nice. I liked it, so I’ve remixed one instance.

I’ve seen, however, that’s pretty old version, and Ghost is continuously updating.
Isn’t there a way to keep up with the updates.

Having 1.21 when their development is already on 1.25 seems a bit oudated on your end.

So could you update our installations - or give some way to do it, and provide latest updates for future remixes.

1 Like

Ghost has been updated to the latest version. You can update your existing project by updating the packages installed in the package.json file. If you already have data you’ll need to follow Ghost’s migration docs. Otherwise, run the following commands from the console for a fresh install:

cd node_modules/ghost
  knex-migrator init
  mv content/data/ghost-dev.db ~/.data/ghost-local.db
3 Likes

Is it possible, maybe, to do something like this, from your side:

Not everybody wants their blog to auto-update though. Some have themes and plugins which rely on having a particular version of the software installed, which is why we leave it up to end-users to run their blog however they want. You could set up a similar system with a script that upgrades the ghost module to the latest version and runs a database update.

how do I update my ghost instance, since I created it as anonymous user?
is there a way?

Do you still have access to the app using your anonymous account? If so, you can register then you can share a join link with yourself if your app isn’t part of your account already.

Hi, has ghost been updated? It looks like 2.X.X has been released but he Glitch version it 1.8.X I have tried to update the instance in the console but feel getting the following error.

I have been trying to use the Ghost update Guide but keep getting the following two errors.

ERROR  EACCES: permission denied, mkdir '/opt/nvm/versions/node/v9.11

.2/pnpm-global’

Hi @gndclouds, welcome to the Glitch Forums!

I don’t know of any Ghost projects that are using the newer version, but it’s something I want to get to. I’ll try to fit it in soon.

I haven’t used that guide, but the operation that it seems to be attempting won’t work in Glitch since the project user doesn’t have direct access to the directory it’s trying to update. In fact, that operation doesn’t even make sense in Glitch since we store node versions differently than what they’re assuming.

Which ghost project are you looking at? I updated https://glitch.com/~ghost about a week ago and it’s using 2.9.1.

1 Like

Perfect, I was having trouble locating the original repo! Thank you! I will make my own remix from that.

But this is the old repo https://eleven-eleven-old.glitch.me (version 1.25.2)

In the future should I be able to update using the console and running ‘ghost update’? or is that something only glitch can do?

2 Likes

I had a terrible time trying to figure out how to update ghost without triggering infinite loops that I couldn’t quit without destroying the instance or modifying the npm start script to be an empty string.

Here are the steps I took to trigger the infinite loop.

Also, I was trying to figure out how to create the blog from a GitHub repository.

Here is the solution I came up with: ghostly

Here is the Glitch instance: ghostly

The main difference is in the init.sh file, making sure that directories exist and the theme is installed.

#!/bin/bash
set -e

if [ ! -d themes ]; then
(
  mkdir themes
  cd themes
  git clone https://github.com/TryGhost/Casper.git casper
)
fi

if [ ! -d .data ]; then
(
  mkdir .data
)
fi

if [ ! -d logs ]; then
(
  mkdir logs
)
fi

if [ ! -f .data/ghost-local.db ]; then
(
  cd node_modules/ghost
  knex-migrator init
  mv content/data/ghost-dev.db ~/.data/ghost-local.db
)
fi

jq ".url=\"https://$PROJECT_DOMAIN.glitch.me\"" config.development.json.base > config.development.json

Hi. Did I need to remove the migrations_lock in my database to update Ghost? If yes, how to access my database and update it?

Follow-up question: Can I reload Ghost if I configured the config.[env].json file? And if yes, how?