Dedicated IP address

Hi,

First of all, Glitch is such a great platform and I want to thank the engineers and others at the organization for this product. My question is this. I have built a project on Glitch, and I understand that the IP address changes every 12 hours or so. I was wondering if I upgraded to a premium membership if I am able to get a dedicated IP address that would not change? I need a dedicated IP address in order to whitelist a connection to MongoDB. I assume that it’s not possible given what I’ve read through the forums but just wanted certainty from someone who would know. Thanks for all your work!

Right now Glitch doesn’t have support for that, (IPv4 addresses can be pricey these days) but in MongoDB you can always whitelist 0.0.0.0/0 so the IP will not matter. If you do this, just be sure to set a strong password.

5 Likes

The container that runs your project is generally hosted by a different AWS EC2 instance everytime it launches.

I think you can do a bit better than a blanket wildcard whitelist. You can definitely limit your white list to AWS IP addresses (published by Amazon here). Admitantly that’s not too secure because spinning up an EC2 instance is all it takes to get one of those IPs. You could refine the list a bit further by observing which IPs your project gets served on an whitelisting those blocks (AWS typically assigns continuous blocks of IP addresses to users on the scale of Glitch). That’s also not perfect because anyone can use a Glitch IP address for free but it’s better than nothing.

5 Likes

This would be a neat feature, if you want you can always make a feature request.

1 Like

If dedicated IP addresses should be added to Glitch, maybe add it for paid teams right?

1 Like