Disk full error on my project

Hello, I am getting a disk full error in my project named authordtx2. Can you provide 24 hours of extra space to my project to clean up my disk?

I’m just tagging along on your message (sorry) because it is related to disk space. I note the following doc page How do I reduce the disk space that my project is using? - Glitch Support. and was wondering if a) it is up-to-date and b) accurate.

Would someone from Glitch comment on the parts about moving files into dot folders like .data and .gitignore these don’t reduce disk space do they? It also mentions placing files in the assets folder again these folders are all part of the reported project space aren’t they?

Thanks.

There are some commands for clearing disk space, but I cannot use the commands because my disk space is full. So I asked for extra storage space.

@YediMESALE_REWARD if you can’t run those commands, please send us a support request so that we can help you further.

@tleylan the information in that help article looks correct as far as I can see:

• When you add files to .gitignore, they don’t count towards git and as a result, do not get counted towards the disk space limit.
  • Similarly, database files that are added to .data will not count towards the disk space limit.
  • Assets do not count towards the disk space limit. There’s an additional 512MB of storage space specifically for assets.
2 Likes

Hi Tasha, That’s interesting. I am no where near the limit but if you don’t count most of the larger files (like databases) then I’m even further away :slight_smile: A .gitignore file is present in the project. The file itself is a few lines but files referenced there are simply not pushed to GitHub. They take no space on GitHub but those files and folders do occupy space on Glitch. There is nothing extra special about the .data folder for instance (I think). One can “require” a file from that folder if it was a JS file. It sounds like if someone placed code there that the space used wouldn’t count.

I haven’t used assets so I don’t know how they work exactly but when I tried it mentioned that they where publicly accessible and since I didn’t know the extent of that I opted to not use it.

When you have a chance could you get someone to review those “rules”. It sounds peculiar that adding a file name to .gitignore means it doesn’t count towards disk space used. It is at best a little ambiguous.

Thanks.

It’s not that they don’t count towards disk space at all, they just won’t be counted towards a growing Git history which is often what takes up a lot of disk space for folks.

Ah… thanks Jenn. It sounds like the space being recovered is due mostly to git in that case. Except as noted moving large files to assets could help a lot. Speaking of assets is there a sample project you are aware of that demonstrates how the assets work? Something we could “view” in terms of the project, the assets, the CDN, etc?

It sounds like common assets could be referenced in multiple projects and perhaps even projects not belonging to the original asset owner. Again I’m just a little confused about what it means to place files there. Can the asset owner “overwrite” the original or are they given a reference to a new one? I hesitate to use it if I don’t know how it works.

Ill try my best to explain - the “assets” tab is a place to upload files to Glitch’s Amazon S3 bucket VS traditionally uploading a file to your project (likley an Amazon EC2 VM). Glitch allows you to upload up to 500mb of files to their bucket per project.

Files in the S3 bucket can be accessed from anywhere in the world and can be referenced and viewed in any project.

1 Like

Hi there. I appreciate the attempt but I think that leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Particularly if there was a public sample project that demonstrated it working. And how modifications work. Does the uploader remain the “owner” of the asset and can then edit it and/or delete it? If someone else’s project references it what happens, etc.

There may be additional documentation but I haven’t seen it. One “test” BTW about the efficacy of the existing docs is to ask people who don’t already use it how it works and/or how it might benefit them to use it.

What I think I will do is upload a couple of larger graphics and see what sort of reference I am given. Not sure that will answer the questions but it is a start.

Good questions so far! Here are my own findings on them:

Assets are associated with a project, and project members are allowed to upload another version of the file with the same name to update the asset. There’s no delete though. There’s also caching, so when you update your own assets you change that ?t=(a number that you change every time you update it) at the end of the URLs. I suppose other uses of them will eventually start getting the new version later.

There’s no access control on viewing the asset. Someone else’s project is allowed to access it.

2 Likes

That helps some thanks :slight_smile: I’m going to try it out soon and things may become more obvious. If multiple projects can access the same file (by name) then naming a graphic “logo” might not be the ideal choice (if another project has a different logo of course).

There is no access control as in other users making use of the asset but I have to assume that they can’t overwrite the asset. And I’m not sure how people discover other assets. Like for instance, I shouldn’t need an asset to be able to see at least some existing assets right? I don’t even know if I can remove an asset from a project for instance. I’ll give it all a go in a dummy project.

To add to what wh0 said; while assets are associated to a project, the assets you see in the assets view are not based on this association. The files you see there are based on the hidden file .glitch-assets. If you wanted to, you could manually edit this file to add files from other sources to the assets view.

Files uploaded are not accessed by name, but by a CDN URL. This URL has the format https://cdn.glitch.com/<token>%2F<filename> where token is unique for every project, so you do not need to worry about using the same name as someone else.

Only people that can edit the projects can edit the assets associated with it.

You can only see the assets of other projects by going to that projects editor (if public), or by accessing the CDN URL of the asset you want to see.

Only partially. You can “delete” them, but this only removes them from the assets view (by changing the .glitch-assets file). The actual files can still be accessed via the CDN URL.

Originally, when you started a new project, the assets view would be populated by three images with some hints to how it all worked. For some reason they have been removed from the current starters. The images are still available on their CDN though: drag-in-files.svg, click-me.svg, and paste-me.svg.

3 Likes

Thanks for the added details. I’ll give it all a try and will also see if I can get to those 3 examples as a test.

I really like this thread and all these questions around assets! I’m going to make sure we get a nice help doc gathering and answering these for other folks. If y’all have more questions about assets, please send them my way here - but it does looks like @wh0 and @WhiteNemo covered most if not all!

I’ll also see if we can pre-populate assets again with those three helper images. I’m not sure why we got rid of those, but there was probably a good reason, so I’ll investigate!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.