Displaying remix history on Glitch projects (altered idea)

I was just thinking about this since a user posted about someone stealing a project. One of the good things about Github is that, assuming you leave your original repository intact, the initial commit is there with a timestamp. If someone steals your code and also posts it publicly, it can be easily found that your project was created earlier. Therefore, you are likely the original owner, especially if you include a license.

Without going against the spirit of remixing others’ projects, it might be nice if Glitch projects showed an initial commit timestamp. Not sure how that would be implemented with Git running behind the scenes, but it would give people a bit more public ownership. Maybe there can be an option to switch it off, also. Then if the project is remixed (forked) it could show that somehow as well.

It’s a pretty loose idea, just thought I’d throw it out there. I’m not personally too concerned about people taking my stuff since a lot of my work is honestly, fairly basic as far as programming ability goes. But I know first hand how much employers nitpick candidates for jobs now more than ever…with that in mind, some folks might be wary of putting projects up at all or storing them elsewhere. Which might be good for boosting apps. But, the more people keep things private, the less sharing occurs as well.

Just having a remix log, and the code owner being able to see the remixed projects, would be good enough to stop that.

Not really. If someone steals your project and sends the link to someone pretending they made it - and this works in their favor - the damage is done, even if the Glitch team quickly removes that project or suspends the account. At least if there is an option to search and see the initial commit (provided the receiving party checks) they can find the original owner.

That would also mean making sure the info comes up in search and people probably want to consider how they name projects. I tend to name my more important projects in a literal way so they’re more findable.

A bit more food for thought…

I think especially under the New Normal / remote work, a great developer living in a smaller city may not be the cream of the crop anymore to employers if they decide to expand their search for remote workers. While remote work has been great for introverts it also allows employers to be way more picky. Not to mention all the time at home vs. going to in-person meetings and engaging in office politics. Settling into more online time also means more time comparing repositories and going over code with a fine tooth comb.

1 Like

I think remix info would be more useful in the case of preventing theft of original credit, too - git (or any version control) history can easily be deleted once removed from Github or remixed on Glitch.

For projects that have not deleted the initial Git history, you can open Rewind and see all those previous updates and who were responsible and where. We’re not particularly interested in forcing meta information on the UI of Glitch apps, so this unfortunately means the onus would be on hiring managers to do due diligence - which they should be doing anyway. But we can think of ways to surface this info appropriately on project pages!

Thanks for starting this discussion, @christina!

4 Likes

Good point about deleting git history; I hadn’t thought of that. I guess if someone really wanted to keep their initial commit they would, but it’d force them into keeping that whole chain, unless they can rebase.

I agree about not showing every commit publicly (if that’s what you mean) - that’s one of the things I love about this platform; I don’t have to worry about every dumb commit I make :joy: I was thinking just initial commit (now seeing the pitfall there) and then who remixed. It could be a tree-like diagram, kind of like how Github shows forks. Thanks for reading and considering the idea!

There’s a cool example of this actually working on a large scale, whenever you remix a project on scratch it’ll show a pretty remix tree with project thumbnails
A lot of people try to create accurate clones of games on scratch and remix tracking helps track down who actually did what.

The other problem is having too much remixes, in github you’ll find a lot of forks listed in their fork viewing screen but not a lot have any intresting differences compared to the original repo. So currently in order to pick up any intresting variations I look for forks of a fork.

3 Likes