Explore the insides of Nix packages from the comfort of your browser

We’re at the point where we have a .nar.xz file downloaded from the cache and saved in memory. Now we need to decompress it.

Decompressing

I really took the scenic route getting this done.

I couldn’t find any JavaScript implementations of XZ decompression. There’s a library that uses Web Assembly though, GitHub - SteveSanderson/xzwasm: XZ decompression for the browser via WebAssembly. If you generally need to get an xz-compressed file, that library is probably your best bet.

Contrary to my own advice though, I ended up trying to build my own library from the same materials: the xz-embedded implementation XZ Embedded and wasi-sdk GitHub - WebAssembly/wasi-sdk: WASI-enabled WebAssembly C/C++ toolchain.

Doing our own stunts

It seemed doable: the xzwasm project showed that it took no patching to make xz-embedded build. And I was going to settle for a simpler non-streaming workflow. Moreover, we actually know the size of the decompressed .nar file beforehand, as it’s listed in the .narinfo:

NarSize: 16058632

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to run the prebuilt wasi-sdk release on Glitch. I think it had to do with the glibc being too old. I ended up compiling it on a different computer.

It compiled fine. I’m using the built in dlmalloc allocator, resulting in a ~28 KB .wasm file. The xzwasm project claims to be under 8 KB–notably they use a more compact walloc. Good on them.

But wouldn’t it be fun to be able to build Web Assembly programs in Glitch? At this point, without any warning, I’ll be sharing a story from five years ago.

Digging up ancient history

I’ve written about some security-related findings on Glitch before, but my first such post Root access on Glitch (already fixed) actually wasn’t about the first privilege escalation vulnerability I found on Glitch.

The very first one I found was back in 2017. I was in contact with Fog Creek Customer Service about it, in case FC3186524. A part of the discussion went as follows:

(me) Is this [privilege escalation] a security concern? If not, it would mean a lot to me if I could just install packages through the package manager.
(support) Certainly, an authenticated user should not be able to run commands as root in the project container.
(support) If there’s a package you feel is missing from the Glitch container, please let me know and we’ll make sure we install it.

That Glitch would let me have a package added to the project container image. This was before I was a big show-off on the forums, so I had never brought this up, but I’ve always thought of it as one of my most prized non-tangible sort of possessions.

I know that Fog Creek has since been on a long journey, becoming Glitch and becoming part of Fastly. And I know some of the key people from back then no longer work there (:pray:). But I have to try. Today’s the day that I say the magic words.

Angelo, I feel that wasi-sdk is missing from the Glitch container.

Glitch, if there’s mean to be any sense of continuity, please consider this request :bowing_man:

In the next post, I’ll comment on the fate of the other technologies I mentioned in a post from a few days ago Community Open Thread 2 - September 16, 2022 - #11 by wh0 : web workers and the cache API.

4 Likes