Extra Templates

There should be a configuration screen to configure which templates you want to be, on the templates shown on the new project screen.
The design would be
[Checkbox] Simple NodeJS template
[Checkbox] Simple Express template
[Checkbox] Simple SQlite App
Then there could be community contributed templates like
[Checkbox] Python 3 Flask App
[Checkbox] Python 2 Flask App
[Checkbox] Dijango App
[Checkbox] Python 3 Flask with venv
[Checkbox] Simple PHP App
[Checkbox] Ruby with rails starter(is this possible?)
[Checkbox] Java Serverlets Template
…

This a really interesting idea! Can you elaborate more on what advantages this would have over the current system, and what interaction with this design would look like?

A quick demo of how the user interface would look like: https://glitch.com/~laced-noise
Advantages:
Helpful for devs that don’t primarily use nodejs
Allows you to quickly start with the framework you want
Also it would be easier to create a discord bot, because you wouldn’t need fish out a template from search that uses a random framework.
Disadvantages:
You would have to look for templates by the community or the glitch team would have to make lots of templates for lots of different languages.
People would keep saying, “this template is broken” a lot due to the number of templates that are needed to maintain.

Just curious, does anybody have any other thought on this. I actually think radio buttons might not be the best ui, and instead I should make cards for each template with descriptions.

This would be really cool, but yeah, it sounds very labor-intensive for the Glitch team. Sometimes I get discouraged because I’ll go searching for a template and keep thinking I’ve found one, but they’re broken or works-in-progress. I thought that maybe we could have a way of like, tagging some community-built templates as the current “official” templates to make it easier to find, but it would be hard to keep those tags up-to-date (if a project stops working, for example.) Maybe we could create (and then lock?) certain templates so that they’re stable versions?

2 Likes

I could implement this as a userscript though

Would really like this, maybe using the lamp-poc project and a discord bot project.

it’s quite possible, glitch has nice html but it’s a bit obstufacated

the small thing i’m worried about is when glitch changes it’s html it might break things and hopefully the class names don’t change every time glitch is updated
Concept proof

I’m sure its possible. But if you are going to use PHP, you should make sure it is the lamp-poc project because you shouldn’t really be using the php webserver in production.

1 Like

Checkboxes in markdown can be done by using [] and [x]