Ghost blog won't update

I wanted to go right to the new 3.0 release.

• I installed the shiny pre-made Ghost blog from here.
  • I ran the initial install thing (/ghost) and set up an admin user as directed in the Readme
  • It’s out of date since the new version came out just today. I opened the console and ran ghost update from the official update guide.

I got this message:

$ ghost update
Working directory is not a recognisable Ghost installation.
Run ghost update again within a folder where Ghost was installed with Ghost-CLI.

This is inside the /app directory with all the Ghost stuff. I’m not sure where to go from here.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Form @CondensedBrain!

I’m going to move your post to the Coding Help category so developers in our community can assist you. In the meantime, you may find some useful info in this post.

1 Like

hey @CondensedBrain - so that ~ghost app is mine and we didn’t use ghost-cli globally to install it, which is why it’s not detected as an installation qualified to upgrade using the cli. for security reasons, we don’t allow you to globally install npm packages, and ghost-cli won’t let you install ghost in a directory that has any files or folders (like node_modules) in it, which is why it’s set up this way.

i’m currently working on trying to get a working instance of ghost 3 on glitch, but it isn’t as straightforward as i hoped, since a typical ghost 3 installation is 260MB which is well over the disk space limit glitch allows. i’ll post here if i manage to get it working!

3 Likes

The fact that I can run it on here at all (even if an old version) is pretty neat. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. That does seem like not much space to work with though. How technically complicated would it be to have the container system you use provide more on a case by case basis when it’s made by someone at the company? Ghost seems like a good thing to make an exception for since it shows what Glitch is capable of.

1 Like

it’s sounds pretty complicated technically but something we’ve been talking about!! tool-specific disk space on containers would be hard to monitor and awkward to enforce i feel - let’s say we only allow ghost apps on glitch to have a 500MB container. theoretically we’d need to be looking at each app often to make sure that it’s still a ghost app and not just someone remixing it for the extra space and putting something else there.

1 Like

The existing reputation-based capability expansion could help with that. It currently takes two thanks for custom domain support. Maybe a handful more for a higher cap. The only downside is it could set Glitch down the road of gamification. I forget where I saw it, but there was a note somewhere that a way to pay to raise container limits would eventually be available. You could only keep this reputation-based system to give Glitch room to grow before you’re ready to start letting people pay for it.

1 Like

yeah i definitely want to avoid us using thanks to further open up features - we did it with custom domains to see what worked and didn’t and to keep the usage at a scale we could manage. in my opinion what worked doesn’t outweigh the negatives by far. we are exploring pay-to-raise options among other things though!

3 Likes

hello again! i got an updated version of ~ghost running ghost 3 - you should be able to remix and be good to go! https://glitch.com/~ghost

3 Likes

That worked. Thanks. What’s the procedure for updating it without running ghost update? For when the next version comes.

1 Like

it really depends on what the update changes from the previous update, it’s kind of labor intensive. for this one, i

• set up ghost 3 locally on my machine with ghost-cli
  • zipped up the generated content folder in the local app and put on dropbox to get a link
  • ran wget [url of zipped content folder] in the glitch app console of a remix of the old ~ghost app (now ~ghost-v2) after i deleted all the existing directors in it
  • ran mv /content/* . in the glitch app console to move all the content folder items to the root of the app

i think that was all the steps, but i’m going to see if i can get this update working with an existing blog - not a fresh new one.

1 Like