Git is not up to date

Hi,

I was working from the glitch UI so far, and the project was added to git instantly for every change that i made.

Now i am trying to clone to my local Webstorm, but i get a version that is not up to date.

I checked ‘git status’ on glitch’s console, and i saw that i have to add the updates files manually.
i tried ‘git add .’ and i got:

$ git add .
error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database .git/objects
error: {oneOfOurFiles}.js: failed to insert into database
error: unable to index file {oneOfOurFiles}.js
fatal: updating files failed

any idea?
Thank you!!

1 Like

If you untar as root then files keep the original owner and you can end up with the wrong permissions. Could that have happened here?

I didn’t fully understand what you meant, but it works from time to time so we will manage.
Thanks!

@Gareth

Hi Gareth, this happens more often now, is there anything we can do with that?
Can you explain what you said in the previous comment?

Thanks!

If you’re not committing to git within the project yourself, then your changes are only committed automatically around every 15 minutes or so. So when you’re pulling from git, it could be running a few minutes behind. Is that the issue you’re seeing?

The problem is that:

Sometimes when i do some work in the glitch website, the changes are pushed automatically. But sometimes it doesn’t pushed automatically.

And then i have to add and commit it myself from the glitch console.

Adding and committing from the console can work, and in some cases it fails and i get:
$ git add .error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database .git/objectserror: Folder/File.js: failed to insert into databaseerror: unable to index file Folder/File.jsfatal: updating files failed

so i have to do this changes locally on my IDE, and then push from there, and then merge the master with this branch.

I had a hard time explaining, i hope you understood :slight_smile:

Thanks!

@Gareth
Looks like i have the same problem as this guy here:

I don’t think you’ve mentioned the project name.

is it something related specific to my project?
i see more people on Glitch has that

It could be related to your project and if it is we can have our devs check it out

thanks for your report! We’ll investigate on the root cause. In the meantime, I’ve fixed your project so from now on you should be able to commit changes normally.

Thanks for the help !!!

Hi,

Unfortunately, the problem is back:

$ git add .
error: insufficient permission for adding an object to repository database .git/objects
error: RequestPerformer.js: failed to insert into database
error: unable to index file RequestPerformer.js
fatal: updating files failed

it worked great so far.

any idea?

thanks!

Hi :slight_smile: is it on the same project?

I fixed it again, but we’ll look into the root cause some more! Thanks for your report

Yes it is the same project.
Thanks we appreciate it!