Glitch Error with installing packages

I think glitch might be experiencing a hiccup at the moment. I modified by package.json causing it to reinstall all packages and has just repeatedly gave me the following error: “npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, write”
I’ve only used 16% of my container space but my understanding is packages don’t contribute to your container space anyway. I get the same thing if I try to remix the project. What’s going on?

The project in question: https://glitch.com/edit/#!/groundhog-cyoa

1 Like

I ran pnpm install manually from the console and that seemed to fix it. I’m a little worried it’ll do it again (since this is a project I’ve shared with a bunch of people) but at least I know how to fix it if it does happen again.

Hey @callumgare, you’re right, this is unexpected behavior. I don’t see anything in our logs for your project or its host, but if you see it again please do let us know.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

1 Like

Will do, and thanks!

Okay I’ve had the same trouble again: https://glitch.com/edit/#!/broken-example
This time pnpm install didn’t fix the issue and it looks like it left a debug file behind /app/pnpm-debug.log.

Hey @callumgare this is the error I’m currently seeing on that project:

internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:550
    throw err;
    ^
Error: Cannot find module '../src/deckData.json' 
   at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:548:15)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:475:25)
    at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:598:17)
    at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:11:18)
at Object.<anonymous> (/app/build/webpack.dev.conf.js:13:18)

At https://glitch.com/edit/#!/broken-example?path=build/webpack.dev.conf.js:13:17 I see require('../src/deckData.json'), but there is no such file. I think putting the expected file in that location should resolve the current issues.

Ahh, yeah it looks like the packing install issue righted itself (probably the project timing out and being shutdown somehow fixed it?). The missing deckData.json issue is an application error which I’m not concerned about as it’s something I can fix. The problem I was having was the dependency installation stage failing. Since that’s largely controlled by glitch there’s not much I can do to debug it. As I mentioned pnpm left behind a log when it failed ( /app/pnpm-debug.log) but it looks like that’s been deleted when it fixed itself and I didn’t have the foresight to take a copy of that incase this happened :confused: thanks for your help. I guess I’ll just keep an eye out and shout out if it happens again (and take a copy of the pnpm error log!).

1 Like

I’ve run into that issue again. I haven’t touched https://glitch.com/edit/#!/broken-example since last time and it is producing the same failure to install packages error. Possibly it will have fixed itself by the time you see this so I’ve included a screenshot if for no other reason that I don’t think I’m going crazy.

Although if this is the case and it has fixed itself by the time you look at it I realise you don’t really have anything to go off. Let me know what I can do to preserve the issue next I run into so I can provide you with a test case.

If I remix the project it, the new project is also broken however manually forcing a package reinstall fixes this (I presume remixing just clones a project and doesn’t trigger a rebuild of packages in the new project).

Thanks for all your help! I’d love to get to the bottom of this because worries me that I can’t give out links to working glitch projects and not be confident that they will still be working when other people get around to looking at them (even when I haven’t touched anything in the mean time).

Hi @callumgare, sorry for the bother!

Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the problem as you correctly anticipated, but the errors you saw might give us a little more to go on. I’ll confer with the rest of the team and see what we can uncover.

1 Like

Thanks for that <3

If it’s any further help I’ve just opened https://glitch.com/edit/#!/broken-example after it presumably had not been used in a while and went to sleep. I didn’t touch anything except to open the log panel and this is the first thing to show up:

node v9.11.2, npm 5.6.0
Installing...
a few seconds ago

npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, write
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-741f3327/dist'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-07381c04/dist'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/json-schema-bd128094/draft-00'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-12574ca0/dist'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-741f3327/dist'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-07381c04/dist'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/fsevents-a1424645/node_modules/debug'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-regex-util-8633b2b8/build'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/json-schema-bd128094/draft-00'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/nightwatch-45a021f6/examples/tests'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-12574ca0/dist'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-mock-6839f732/build'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-docblock-a6db299c/build'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/istanbul-lib-coverage-e906796f/lib'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/nightwatch-45a021f6/examples/tests'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-regex-util-8633b2b8/build'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/fsevents-a1424645/node_modules/debug'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/neo-async-c7a4ab28/rejectSeries.js'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/async-67304d10/forEachLimit.js'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-mock-6839f732/build-es5'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/istanbul-lib-coverage-e906796f/lib'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-docblock-a6db299c/build'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-741f3327/lib'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-07381c04/lib'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/neo-async-c7a4ab28/retryable.js'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/async-67304d10/forEachOfLimit.js'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/neo-async-c7a4ab28/safe.js'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/async-67304d10/forEachOfSeries.js'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/jest-mock-6839f732/build'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/isexe-f3e24459/test'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-741f3327/lib'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/source-map-07381c04/lib'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/neo-async-c7a4ab28/select.js'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/async-67304d10/forEachSeries.js'
npm WARN tar ENOSPC: no space left on device, open '/app/node_modules/.staging/neo-async-c7a4ab28/selectLimit.js'
npm WARN tar ENOENT: no such file or directory, lstat '/app/node_modules/.staging/doctrine-6732c8e4/lib'
npm WARN choice-assist@1.1.1 No license field.
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@1.2.7 (node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN enoent SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: ENOENT: no such file or directory, rename '/app/node_modules/.staging/fsevents-a1424645/node_modules/ansi-regex' -> '/app/node_modules/.staging/ansi-regex-04fac72c'
npm ERR! path /app/node_modules/.staging/is-whitespace-2d460f55
npm ERR! code ENOSPC
npm ERR! errno -28
npm ERR! syscall mkdir
npm ERR! nospc ENOSPC: no space left on device, mkdir '/app/node_modules/.staging/is-whitespace-2d460f55'
npm ERR! nospc There appears to be insufficient space on your system to finish.
npm ERR! nospc Clear up some disk space and try again.
npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /tmp/npm-cache/9.11.2/_logs/2019-03-12T10_56_21_224Z-debug.log
a few seconds ago

./start.sh: line 15: rimraf: command not found

MOD EDIT: formatting

Can you Indent that output please!

Also, you need to clear some storage space, so I suggest creating a .gitignore file, and put the directories of the folders that use alot of space into there, these folders will not be visible in the editor while in the .gitingore file, then use

git prune

and

git gc

in the console and see if this helps!

Hey @callumgare I was able to see that after opening after some time, so I think we can repro it by stopping the project or letting it go to sleep. Am I correct in saying that this is a project that you’re not actively using (by which I mean I can mess around with it a little more without bothering you)?

If you see this again, by the way, running enable-pnpm might fix it even if pnpm i doesn’t. That script does a few extra things that might help the project along.

@Callum-OKane Sorry about the lack of indenting! Will make sure I do that next time. However as much as it looks like it, the issue isn’t that my container is using too much space. It’s currently only using “3%, 6/194MB” and I believe with the introduction pnpm that modules don’t count towards your disk space anyway.

@cori Yes! Please mess with it as much as you like. I remixed it from a broken project specifically so you’d have something to play around with :slight_smile: Thanks re the enable-pnpm trick. I’ll give that a shot if I hit the error again.

I have actually been experiencing the same issues as you are. Literally received the same errors and used the same solutions as you did.

I am just here to put some weight on the problem, hope to see some kind of solution :wink: