Glitch project refreshes every time I try to make a change

Hi!

I have a problem right now where I can’t edit the code for a discord bot I have.

In the console, I have the error:

Starting inspector on localhost:9200 failed: address not available

Which, according to the FAQ link following it, says to simplify the star script. However, whenever I try to even edit something in the code (i.e. server.js), the top right of the IDE says “reconnecting…”, the code all disappears, and the glitch project refreshes, saving no changes. I actually can’t make any changes.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

It sounds like your project might be full - see https://glitch.com/help/when-i-try-to-edit-a-project-it-just-refreshes-and-doesnt-save-my-changes/ and let us know if you’re still having problems.

Thanks for the prompt response Gareth. I’ve run git prune (no console output) and git gc, with the following output:

$ git gc
Counting objects: 591, done.
Delta compression using up to 4 threads.
Compressing objects: 100% (281/281), done.
fatal: sha1 file '.git/objects/pack/tmp_pack_IwFN3Q' write error: No space left on device
error: failed to run repack

Running it again results in

$ git gc
fatal: unable to overwrite old ref-pack file: No space left on device
error: failed to run pack-refs

It seems I need disk space to even run this. Is there a workaround?

Is there also a way to tell how much disk space of my allotted disk space a project is using? Because I’m using phantom, there might be some error when saving images/creating instances which is hogging a lot of disk space. Because whenever I take a picture with phantom, I always save it to the same file name, I thought that would overwrite the previous one to conserve disk space. But maybe there’s a different problem.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I’ve used df to check disk usage, but I’m not really sure where to look to delete things to free up space from there.

I’ve included additional df results below (particularly concerned about the 100% use):

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
overlay          49G   32G   17G  66% /
tmpfs            15G     0   15G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev             15G     0   15G   0% /dev
shm              64M     0   64M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/xvda1       49G   32G   17G  66% /opt/nvm
tmpfs           256M  4.2M  252M   2% /etc/hosts
/dev/xvdp1      200G  136G   64G  69% /rbd/pnpm-volume/store/2/server
tmpfs            15G     0   15G   0% /proc/scsi
tmpfs            15G     0   15G   0% /sys/firmware
/dev/rbd60      128M  117M   64K 100% /app
/dev/xvdp1      200G  136G   64G  69% /rbd/pnpm-volume/5c14e12f-0790-4195-ba5f-0315077802ad

That’s a shame - usually git prune frees up enough space for git gc to run. df shows you how much disk space is used, it’s the listing for /app that’s of interest. Running ls -al will list files in the directory with details so you can see what space they’re using. It’s likely the .git directory taking up all the space if you’re creating binary files and they aren’t .gitignored. If you don’t need the ability to roll back right now you could just remove the .git directory using rm -rf .git.

Cool, that was my plan. I have local version control, so I figured it was pretty whatever to delete it. Seems to have fixed things up, thanks Gareth!

Pleased to hear it. But it’d be worth adding the whole directory or a list of specific files you’re creating to a .gitignore file else your project will quickly fill up again.