[mega-thread] Glitchchord- mongoDB discord clone

It would be better on both the client (receive and sending) and server (before it gets sent)

Actually, all sorts of rendering should happen client side. That way it is less load for the resource server and clients who prefer profanity or receive XSS can do so at their own will.

Any official client should of course prevent security risks, and other things like markdown and profanity filters (optional).

The server shouldn’t have to process user-input in way that modifies it, only verify the data that was sent.

It’s not like it’s much load a simple .replaceAll(); should do fine (for basic filter).

It might not be much of a load, but still shouldn’t be practiced. User-input should be processed and rendered client-side, but verified server-side.

We render and filter all input before it is sent to the client, once it is complete the message is sent with the appropiate formatting

for obvious reasons, we try to stop any words being shown in the console.

1 Like

I’m working on a fix for issue referenced below.

The solution I’m implementing is to show username if that exists and fallback to email.

EDIT: A solution has been implemented. Hopefully working as well.

2 Likes

Thank you for the fix @ihack2712!

I can’t join another server!

i thinks its the odd1sout lol

please send a screenshot of your issue @Losh531!

lol, sub to him anyway :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

bug fix

error: username is not defined
level: moderate, not doing much harm
status: fixed, redirects to login page if you attempt to join without being signed in

announcement

Thank you to all users! we have now reached a number of 86 users!

2 Likes

Wow! Thats pretty good!

2 Likes

i know! wasn’t expecting that!

1 Like

Tried making a channel. It put me in a login loop. Tried joining the new starter server, it returned an error.

I also get this sometimes when attempting to make a channel:
TypeError: Cannot read property ‘_id’ of undefined
at router.post (/app/routes/channel.js:42:26)
at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/rbd/pnpm-volume/f4d4184e-a21b-40de-a0bf-e3d9b5cee16c/node_modules/.registry.npmjs.org/express/4.17.1/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
at next (/rbd/pnpm-volume/f4d4184e-a21b-40de-a0bf-e3d9b5cee16c/node_modules/.registry.npmjs.org/express/4.17.1/node_modules/express/lib/router/route.js:137:13)
at Immediate._onImmediate (/rbd/pnpm-volume/f4d4184e-a21b-40de-a0bf-e3d9b5cee16c/node_modules/.registry.npmjs.org/multer/1.4.2/node_modules/multer/lib/make-middleware.js:53:37)
at runCallback (timers.js:706:11)
at tryOnImmediate (timers.js:676:5)
at processImmediate (timers.js:658:5)

oh yep, we are doing some maintenance so just hang in there :slight_smile:

okay, issue has been resolved :slight_smile:

I still can’t join the sample server :frowning: