Goodbye private projects

I find this a welcome change because it feels in line with the spirit of open source.

GitHub pretty much does the same thing with public/private repos. If you’re willing to make your project open you’re relatively unrestricted free of charge. However, if it’s something private, for whatever reason (pre-release, commercial use, etc.) you have to pay to use some of the publicly free features.

In my experience I’ve found little need to keep anything private, especially because it’s so easy to keep tokens/keys private within environment variables. And on the plus side, more public projects gives people more opportunities to learn from and improve upon the work of their peers.

6 Likes

Wait so free users can’t private projects anymore???

4 Likes

Not necessarily. GitHub allows private repos for personal accounts free of charge, but the rules are different with orgs.

2 Likes

yep :frowning:

They do, but certain repository features like Actions, Wikis, Protected Branches, among others are only available to free users if the repository is public.

Here’s the full feature matrix if anyone is curious: https://github.com/pricing

3 Likes

ugh now i gotta find a new place to host my website :c

(has my db data so yea)

If it’s in the .data folder, it should be hidden to none invited viewers. And they don’t change your current privates to public

3 Likes

@jenn does mean PMs will go away

No, this update is not affecting anything on the forum.

uh no lol

Hi! I assume PMs mean “private messages” - please correct me if I’m wrong. This release will only impact access controls on projects, nothing on the forum.

8 Likes

Ok,one of my friends was worried that there would be no more Private messages after this update

3 Likes

Can’t someone put code in secure files that are scrubbed (like .env) and they just program it all in VSCode?

Why do I feel like it’s going to become 50 cents per character.

5 Likes

Because Private Projects are getting removed to free users :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hey be happy No categories are getting removed(rip snap forums Uncategorized(

1 Like

I think actually coding is a lot more important than the forum.

It’s a lot better to use the crafted product over talking about it.

3 Likes

I can’t unlike your post. (Not that I wanted to.) But when I hovered over it, it showed the Windows “You are not allowed to press this” icon.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s so that you make sure you actually like it since you can’t change it afterwards.

1 Like