Hello HTTPD - The unofficial new and improved lamp-poc

I have tried and I have failed. SQL Queries are too confusing compared to MongoDB :joy:

DROP DATABASE eddiestech

3 Likes

I never work with dbs directly, try something like https://sequelize.org/

I don’t think this is for building. This is mostly for learning since it is way too advanced already to be a starter

Have you seen hello-Express? Its longer than this.

1 Like

No, it’s just too advanced for you. It’s the exact same thing as hello-sqlite (but in PHP), but you keep hating on PHP so much (shoot, you hate on everything) that if you stopped and learned just a little bit of PHP, you would see how it works.

5 Likes

I know a bit of PHP. (as I’m trying to learn it) And I’m bringing no hate. And it’s pretty noice that you made this @RiversideRocks while being under hello-express. It’s just with the amount of files, I looked at index.php a bit and saw that there were a bit of lines, so I guessed that it was too advanced. My bad, @aboutdavid.

I actually am building off of @riversiderocks app to make package-php and instead of glitch.json it uses package.json to work more

it’s gonna work the same regardless, and adding a package.json will make it even slower as Glitch will try to install modules from npm!

Also, what does “work more” mean?

1 Like

I said definetly I am not gonna keep learning PHP this month, because I plan on spending it all on C# :smiley:

No you didn’t say that. What you basically said if that you will never use it as the following quote which implies that you will never learn/use it:

Firstly,

This is becoming a rather heated discussion, in my opinion, and y’all should calm down a little bit.

Secondly,

The reason a lot of people hate PHP is because of how the creator of PHP is a people pleaser. PHP was never meant in the beginning to be a logical language. That means you weren’t supposed to be able to do things like SQL queries or math. PHP was made to make templating a hella lot easier than having to write C/C++. The people were mostly fine with all this logic being added to PHP but were very, you could say pissed, at people who then combine logic and templating.

PHP nowadays is a mess, compared to, say, Node.js & templating like Handlebars or Python with Jinja. A lot of people also disliked how slow PHP used to be. However, PHP has improved a lot over the years, and nowadays, the newest versions of PHP are a lot faster than Node.js, Python, and Deno.

Lastly,

To say my own opinions in the matter. I myself used to write code in PHP when I was younger and was learning how to write code. PHP is a great place to start learning how to write backend code and get used to the programming style one would want to learn (considering PHP has both OOP and functional).

I don’t think anyone who hasn’t tried PHP and is familiar with the language, how it works, and the ecosystem shouldn’t say much about what they think of PHP. How can one know anything if one hasn’t tried it yourself?

I myself have tried it. I liked it a lot in the beginning. However, it’s just not my language. I do not carry hatred towards any developer who chooses to write code in PHP; however, I will never recommend learning PHP to anybody either. I say that because I don’t think that the PHP language is worth learning anymore, it might be fast, yes. But, at the end of the day, I will always go back to Node.js and/or Deno. Just because that’s the languages/engines/frameworks I feel more comfortable with. What other people choose to write their code in shouldn’t be judged, but accepted. We’re all different.

7 Likes

@RiversideRocks I’ve remixed this (https://violet-zest-bit.glitch.me), and it’s saying Connection failed: Unknown database 'glitch' - what’s going on there? Is there a command I need to run in the terminal or something?

Hello, sorry about that! Remix a new copy and run this:

mysql -u root
SOURCE db.sql;
1 Like

Yeah, noticed that too.

I couldn’t really get the site so I opened up packagephp mysql root user

Sorry to bump, I just wanted to note I added a few fixes. .mysql and .env are now blocked from the internet.

3 Likes

Please don’t advertise on other people’s projects, it can take the spotlight away from other projects.

I’d suggest making another project in #the-gallery .

Cool, what did you change? It seems that submitting a dream doesn’t work.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.