HELP! All the memory isn't working and I'm very scared D: Disc Space running out?

This is what happened, i tried $ git gc and $ git prune which did nothing

Hello @miramallows what do you see when you run du -h --max-depth=1 In the console? That should help you figure out what’s using your disk space.

I got this.

I can’t git prune or anything because no space.

uhhh so idk what i did but i… fixed it

idk if its rly fixed or whether i ruined my entire app but yeah rip

it seems (?) to be fine but i think i deleted a lot of git files which might not have been necessary… lol

If you don’t need the history of the project you can delete the entire .git directory with no ill effects. However it will be recreated in another 10 minutes or so when we take another snapshot.

What’s probably happening is that you have some files that change regularly and git is taking a snapshot of each one every 10 minutes. If you don’t address that then you’ll end up right back in the same spot soon. What you need to do is to add the paths to the files that change regularly to a .gitignore file so git stops keeping track of them.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

1 Like

oh i thought we didn’t need a .gitignore file? ;o

Generally speaking that’s true. But if you’ve got regularly changing files then those will fill up your disk space with specious git commits pretty quickly, so you need one in that case.