Help Understanding JavaScript

Serious question from a total idiot. What EXACTLY is javaScript? I thought it was based on behaviors on webpages, just something simple like an element’s behavior. People use javascript to work together? Bots? Frameworks? Libraries? Variables? I’ve read about some of these things but I am hopelessly lost as to what exactly this even does.

‘frontend’ Javascript is the Web element stuff and ‘backend’ is the server stuff with Node.js. You don’t need Node.js to run Javascript in html for example

2 Likes

For webpages and element behaviour, etc, use normal JavaScript. Bots are created using Node.js, which is the server-side version of JavaScript. I recommend you learn JavaScript first.

2 Likes

bit of history- node.js was made using the chrome V8 runtime

3 Likes

It’s a general purpose programming language. You CAN use it to program just about anything. It’s heavily associated with web pages because it’s the only language that web browsers can run.

3 Likes

I thought browsers used html?

You can really use any language on a browser, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are the only languages you can see by viewing the source.

I was simplifying it.

1 Like

They use HTML to determine what text and images go on the page, but JavaScript takes care of more complicated functionality.

2 Likes