How do I make forums on Glitch?

I dont know how to make forums please help!

Do you mean a forum like this? If so, you can’t. This forum engine requires too much resources

2 Likes

yea thx for helping

If you would like an alternate solution, I would recommend flarum. You can use their free service (hosted 3rd party.) Free Flarum.

3 Likes

thanks! this will help me a lot in coding!

1 Like

Or code your own forum. Doing so gives you tons of freedom and flexibility.

3 Likes

and you get to ban however you want :crazy_face:

I reccomend building one like how @RiversideRocks did: https://riverside.rocks/community

You should recreate it in PHP but maybe polish it up

How will I make it so I can ban people and stuff, I cant really finder tutorials and also im not that experienced

use PHP to IP ban people, remove them from the database, or restrict that account from doing anything

I do also recommend the world’s best forum software, discourse (discourse.org) to be self hosted or bought.

You could use myBB, as well. It would have to be boosted and on 24/7. You can set it up by remixing my app at this:

Banning/editing on a forum is really involves a lot of sql and logic. I recommend knowing your language of choice well, whether that be node/php/python, then learn about databases and sql.

1 Like

I just remebered some really nice looking flask based forum software callled FlaskBB it looks lightweight enough to work on glitch

2 Likes

plus it has no sudo like commands, so it should be a walk in the park to do

yeee, this will be close

it’s not done yet

hopefully it works :smiley:

edit: It should work but I never actually managed to get the ui up and running because I keep refreshing :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That is like every attempt to install some well-known software has ended like that. Mediawiki, wordpress, what next…probaly some forum software. I wonder if we can minify php

1 Like

I’m going to try again as I literally only hit the f3 chromeos key (refresh)

edit: turns out you gotta run virtualenv again :sweat_smile:

the expert has spoken
We should try to run minfied forums that don’t have too much memory load

3 Likes

Or use https://freeflarum.com.

It’s free, has a lot of options, awesome plugins and extensions, and you can ban people.

flarum sucks… I’m only using it temporarily to replace it with my discourse forum using oracle vms I guess