How do PM messages work?

What happens when you send a personal message to someone on Glitch? How is the person notified that they’ve been sent a private message? What kind of code is involved in this system? What is the difference between this code and the code that is used in the forums when you reply to someone or create a new topic? I’m wondering because I want to create a website with forums for a secret organisation which I recently joined…I was asked to do this by the leader, so this is important and I’m not just doing it on my own. But I need some help and I have got lots of questions and I really want to be able to do this.

Hey there, this forum uses a software called Discourse. It’s open source, and you can check it out here: https://github.com/discourse/discourse.

3 Likes

so…if i just copy all that code in there (I’m guessing, I haven’t looked yet cuz I don’t have the time at the moment) I’ll have a forum that works like this one on Glitch?

It’s huge and I mean huge. So huge it doesn’t even fit in a regular Glitch project, so copying every file would be a pain :joy: You should instead deploy it. It will tell you how in the documentation. There are also paid hosting options provided by Discourse themselves.

4 Likes

um…I’m not making it on Glitch. I’m making it on…my own file, I guess? So would there be any difference in how it should be done?

Running it on your own computer isn’t the best idea as you’ll need to port forward your IP and run a web server on your computer. Discourse only support Docker installs
Find out more:

1 Like

oh, great. Is there any other way that doesn’t need all this? Is there any way i can code it myself?

There is digital ocean one clicks:

1 Like

So, your saying I could just buy that and screw the rest of the installation process? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

what do you mean?

Welcome to the forum, Kaito and Zahra!
As others have said, the forum software (Discourse) that the Glitch forums uses is a huge pain to install and deploy. I clicked on the blog link in your profile, and you noted that you are learning SQL. Have you looked up CRUD/database operations in SQL? If not, any search engine (ecosia or google] and the W3Schools Tutorial may be helpful in learning how to make your own full-stack app.
Building a forum would be great practice in large-scale deployment, authentication, and general important coding stuffs. Good luck!

4 Likes

Let me explain this. Each page on discourse (besides home I think) has a .json endpoint. This .json endpoint serves data about the page. Each category has specific permission which allows members with certain roles to post in the forum. Each PM on the forum is declared a topic with said set permissions. It is given a different page due to it’s declaration.

thanks! i’m using an ER database at the moment! (and it’s Zahra here)

What’s an ER database?

(Zahra)
OMG, you don’t know what that is?? ER Database stands for entity relationship database.

2 Likes

I hate to break it to ya, I don’t think anyone knows what an entity relationshap (ship) database.

and yes I am trying to type this the first time with no typos

Wow, interesting! Do you mean the ER Model for storing information? That sounds a lot like a normal sequelized database…

2 Likes

(Zahra)
um, yeah? there are different kinds of databases and i’m using the ER one…a relational database…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.