How do you get thanked when no one asks for help?

Hi, this is a small question I had for a good while: I noticed the custom domains feature requires me to get thanked twice, but every time I go to the frontpage (and I go there quite regularly, at least once a day) there’s never anyone asking for help. I would gladly provide my help, but simply put, I can’t, because I’m not being told of anyone requesting it.

Is there anything I should be doing, is this a bug, perhaps this incentive model is broken (for now)?

The problem is that people are asking help in the support forums. Many people including me do that because i don’t want snoopers and people seeing stuff in my .env file

1 Like

Oh right, you can’t ask for help if your project is private! Sure, it makes sense, but it does show the incentives model is broken. Should people helping be given full read access for private projects except to .env, which might still not be enough to hide sensible information, and might rarely relate to issues? Should they be given only access to a selected portion by the user asking for help, in which case it might be missing critical parts or they might just select the entirety of all files anyway?

P.S.: Actually, public projects do not display the contents of .env. So I guess the current approach is a sensible compromise. It’s still worth asking if people are finding it a good way to ask for help, and if this is a good way to lock features that are indirectly free.

1 Like

Oh, and something else I noticed: people can thank you for your Glitch projects, but the button is quite hidden within the editor, and it doesn’t appear at all when you remix. Seems like it would be a no-brainer to put a thanks button in a project’s page and/or to display the original authors somewhere with another thanks button when forking.

1 Like

It appears when you highlight code

1 Like

It appears when you highlight code

it doesn’t if your project is private

I got 2 thanks by helping friends setup stuff on Glitch and they just thanked me.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much how i got my thanks haha

Sadly in my case, people I know are either too autonomous to have to use Glitch, or don’t care enough to go press a button for me. Hey, at least that is a way to solve it, if it’s valid for you.

1 Like

@xerz, there are two ways to get thanked:

1. Create starter project and other valuable resources that are useful for other users to use.

2. When a coding help is asked here in the forums, and if they invite you to your project or if you request the user to invite you in case the user is struggling, after helping they will most probably thank you.

At least, that’s how I got thanked 8 times.

1 Like

Can you direct me to this hidden button? I cant find it anywhere and would really like to thank an author.

Just enter any project and click on a user. You should get a menu with a button that says “Thank”
Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 1.28.19 PM

1 Like