Install Wine on Glitch

Hi there,
I have a project which needs to run a Windows .exe file for it to process an input and receive an output, which is then further processed by my own code. The code works fine when ran locally on my Windows machine, but not on Glitch because it runs on Linux (Ubuntu).

Would it be possible to have Wine installed on projects? I tried to do it myself but I hit a few roadblocks:

The following commands are required to be ran during the install process of Wine but require sudo (aka su on Glitch)

1. dpkg --add-architecture i386 (Glitch does not have this added by default, it does for amd64)
  2. apt-key add winehq.key
  3. apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main' (Gives an error for a missing package aswell: apt_pkg)
  4. apt update (Can be ran but fails to perform the needed sudo-only operations)
  5. apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable (A critical issue to not be able to run this)

Could these issues be fixed or given a workaround please? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi there! For security reasons, we do not give users sudo command access to containers and we don’t anticipate adding a workaround for this - so Glitch isn’t the best place for you to try to run Wine.

6 Likes

I kind of expected this response, it’s understandable, I just figured I’d try anyways because who knows. :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps for the future you could consider making having an automated install of Wine on your project (so all needed setup is done automatically behind the scenes, no need to give the user sudo)? I’m currently a free user (haven’t really had the need to upgrade) but I would 100% upgrade to paid if you decided to make this premium only (which would also be a fairly understandable decision given Wine’s system usage requirements)

3 Likes

Try building Wine from source.

3 Likes

i think even if it could be installed, glitch would need to support x11 for it to work and be interacted with- i’d try repl.it

2 Likes

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1390
He should be just using a CLI app which should work without an X server.

Giving normal users sudo access would be chaos.
It’s reccomended you run a ubuntu virtual machine on your normal computer or run it on onworks.net and try your code in the VM.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.