Licens and Copyright - remixing

If you start a project by remixing a building block or starter project, how do you manage the copyright notice?

For example, if I remix starter-node, does the copyright notice in LICENSE.md have to remain?

1 Like

Yes, the starter-node project has been MIT licensed by its owner, Jenn Schiffer, and per the terms of that license “The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software,” so the LICENSE.md should remain.

I think I’m confused about how “substantial portions” works out in practice.

If I take a remix a project, add code such that the original project is, say, 1% of my project. Can I add my own license file, with my copyright?

Also, if I edit the original code is there a point where it’s no longer a substantial portion?

Perhaps I’ve misunderstood the purpose of remixing starter projects!

Thank you!

This doesn’t really have anything to do with Glitch. This is a legal question about what you can do when software is licensed under the MIT license.

Here’s some more info on that:

Sorry, did I sound like a jerk there? Just reread that and it doesn’t sound that friendly. I just meant this isn’t a Glitch-specific question.