Marking a topic as solved

Hey there folks!
TL;DR: Don’t edit the title to show a solved topic, use the Solution button on the post that helped. Don’t mark a topic as closed, only moderators can do this.

I have seen some people mark topics a Solved or Closed by editing the title with [SOLVED] or [CLOSED] accordingly. Please don’t do this. Using the ‘Solution’ button on a post that solved the issue or question adds a checked box to the topic on the homepage, showing people it is solved and if a topic is closed by a moderator, then a padlock shows next to the topic. If a moderator hasn’t closed a topic, please don’t mark a topic as if it has (Regulars aren’t moderators). This is enough - adding text to the title adds no purpose and makes the forum look messy.
Hope people understand
Eddie

2 Likes

We can mark solutions from all types topics? I thought it was only for help topics.

Should there be a solution for none help topics? Most topic types that have the solution option are the only ones that can be solved. For example, this is in #feedback and has a solution button. Most topics I have seen with this edited title have the Solution option anyway.

Why does feedback have a solution?

Most times OP doesn’t mark the post as a solution so to prevent replies 2 years later, a Regular will add a [CLOSED] to the post as we can’t mark a reply as a solution.

Glitch Feature Ideas has a Solution option. Can you let me know of the topic types that don’t

I mean no one should be bringing up old topics whether they are closed or not. And adding CLOSED doesn’t prevent them from adding a post and it seems some people on this forum are pretty defiant, so they probably won’t care :joy:
Most of the times I have seen CLOSED added are pretty recent and don’t really need. Maybe people should just think if it is needed

Thanks for posting this feedback. It’s something the community should take into account.

@RiversideRocks does bring up a real purpose, that it helps surface the status of a request when the poster neglects to select the solution on their own. But I wonder if this is possible without bumping said thread “2 years later.”

As for the claim “Regulars aren’t moderators,” I want to share this different view from Discourse Understanding Discourse Trust Levels regarding these intermediate permissions such as Regular:

Granting experienced users more rights over time, so that they can help everyone maintain and moderate the community they generously contribute so much of their time to.

1 Like

I would also really like topics to close after a few months or so.

1 Like

Yes Regulars can moderate in a sense, but they are not ‘Moderators’ (e.g. in the @moderators group - sorry for the ping)

Maybe add a #feature-ideas/#feedback post about that as I would like this too. Maybe like 3 or 6 months but a Regular can put it back into normal if it is still a lively topic (maybe months after last post not topic creation)

The point of regular is to be a community mod. Someone who becomes into there position without being promoted by active administration

Yes. I know. But they don’t have the ability to close topics. This is only for users who are full-blown Moderators (in the @moderators group). I would love it if we could close topics, but obviously they don’t want us doing that if we can’t

1 Like

Moderators are just people who work at glitch…

1 Like

Yes, that’s right, but when did I say they weren’t?? They are the only ones who can actually close topics and unless they decide to change that, it should stay that way and acting as if something was closed doesn’t really do anything.

3 Likes

Your telling me adding CLOSED to a topic in big letters doesn’t do anything? I tend to disagree lol.

Haha, obviously it doesn’t do anything. Adding CLOSED to the topic title doesn’t close the topic, it’s just a warning or alert to let users know that the topic should be closed and also a small signal to the moderators to close the topic. But in case the topic isn’t closed by the moderators, I can still post in that topic and so will other users who wouldn’t bother to read the title properly or know what that CLOSED in that title means.

Hope you understand what I mean.

1 Like