[Mega-thread] Why Glitch is not an option for me at the moment

Glitch has never promised a percentage of guaranteed Uptime. It’s really intended on post beta (not public yet) projects/testing before deploying. So it’s a bit unrealistic to knock them when none of the sort was promised to you. Aside from giving you thousands of free hours of uptime. `I switched from uptime robot for my dev projects to another free ping website. (Witch you don’t need you can just add a few lines of code for the project to auto refresh every 5 mins) and since I switched I’ve had zero issues

4 Likes

I belive that you can do anything on the front end on Netlify. Netlify can also be used for static site makers like jekyll because it can run commands when it builds your website.

The only option for backend on hosts like Netlify and Vercel (formerly Zeit) is something called “serverless functions”.

2 Likes

Another annoying thing is that you must use a credit card. I’m sorry but I am never going to pay with my credit card for services I do not 100% trust because:

• PayPal disputes are much easier to file than with a bank.
  • You can guarantee your subscription is “cancelled” with PayPal since you can simply remove it from the “pre-authorized” list.
  • Most people don’t have access to a credit card easily, so PayPal is their only option.
1 Like

Same here. Digital Ocean wants a credit card to “prove you are not a robot” but I’ve never been to keen on just giving out information like that.

2 Likes

I think PayPal can prove also that you are not robot, and there is also CAPCHA which is weird why they require you to use credit card.

2 Likes

PayPal also acts as a “middleman” between yoru credit card/bank and the service. So you can use your credit card to pay, but the service will not get access to it. Oh and PayPal balances are handy:)

Serverless means no server, no nodejs? How come we store data?

Actually, I still don’t understand what it means. And I haven’t used it because I find it very confusing. Basic thing is, you can use Express to route your pages and create a basic API. I don’t think you can use other modules that Express, let alone storing data. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, this is a major inconvenience, but it is only temporary, the only thing to do is to just sit back and wait. However I do agree that it is pretty disappointing for a paid service to do that :crying_cat_face:

Contabo is the worst hosting in the world. They doesn’t have a great DDoS protection.

Yeah @ihack2712. I recommend SiteGround.

Just use Cloudflare for DNS and your problem is solved.

I rented a Contabo VPS back then (~2019) and i cannot allowed to use Cloudflare to DNS, and everyone is just ddosed us back then.

Now what is Cloudflare and DNS @RiversideRocks ? Can it help me anyway?

I have to use a script to refresh the glitch page in every 30 seconds to keep up my project. Sadly, i think Glitch will not fix this current issue with pinging services.

DNS is the way that a computer finds your website and takes you to it. (it changes an IP to a domain)

Cloudflare is a DNS provider that also has DDoS protection. If your website gets DDoSed, they will forward traffic to their servers to protect your website.

I won’t be recommending Contabo as a Glitch alternative. Glad I stayed at SiteGround.

Use self-host for a option for now. I will stay away from Glitch until they doesn’t fix the current uptime issues, or any issues now.