Ping service block: June 13, 7:56 a.m. to present

Please not that this is not permanent, it is temporary.

3 Likes

Hi glitch, did the servers get a refresh? My discord bot is now reinstalling itself which it rarely does
Also why the ping block if there’s no incident according to status.glitch.com, is this a test to see how well things can be after a ping service block

3 Likes

Here’s what I think may have happended. The node modules for all glitch servers were deleted and ping services were disabled to minimize the amount of projects up when this was happening. Most users might be seeing their apps take a long time to start because everything has to be reinstalled.

1 Like

so… does that include node-gyp binaries?

1 Like

Not all pinging service is being blocked. You can still use Awake! or Freshping to ping your project. Just don’t use UptimeRobot for now.

1 Like

awake’s down.
ironic

1 Like

Try to use Freshping for pinging your project.

1 Like

well i am…
but since those pingos are now blocked, i think i might create a puppeteer / deno webview project that monitors/pings my projects that use less resources and have lower priority than those i boosted.

2 Likes

Update:
We will be blocking 100% of ping traffic today to prevent our API response time from slowing down. This block will most likely last the rest of this week. If this changes, I will post another update here.

11 Likes

Many professional bot developers use glitch for their projects, but now that it’s premium only to stay online, there’s absolutely no reason to use it. Glitch is a step up from Heroku, but now is on the same level, because even Heroku couldn’t keep projects online. Many people will probably move away from glitch, as always online for free was what people had used it for from the start. Though this is only a temp block, I expect that many people will move away from glitch, instead of paying. People chose glitch because it was free, and that there was a way to keep it always online, and that it was the only option. Some people are students and kids getting introductions to coding, people who don’t have money to pay for hosting, and half of my IRL data display projects (built in real life) use glitch projects as an API & data storage. I can’t afford to spend $9/month on glitch, as well as a payed host for my main project. I know it’s hard to keep projects online, and manage all of these servers, but it would be awesome if you found a way to make it possible. I am supportive of the decision, just hopeful that this will change soon. Thanks for your hard work. You’ve helped people around the world who want to get into coding, get better jobs, start a fun project, and more be able to start on an easy and amazing platform without having to pay.

7 Likes

Looks like I’m gonna have to jump ship as well. I have projects that are contacted programmatically via my website and applications for things like statistics/data, but Glitch is blocking it all since it’s classified as “ping services” when it isn’t. Sad. Glitch used to be good but now it isn’t.

4 Likes

Hmmm, idea! A discord bot that pings other bots. Discord bots do spend a lot of time idling so they will use up server resources. Maybe there could be one that can check and activate other bots by watching for you prefix and checking if they are in the server

2 Likes

Ah so it’s not permanent. Awesome! Thanks.

3 Likes

Though this is a good idea, discord bot’s don’t idle and use too much resources. Every time a message is sent, or an action is sent, Discord sends a request to the server containing information. Based on the way that your Discord API wrapper is set up, it will cache the users & data involved in the request. If glitch had a way of forcing the cache clearing, or limiting the ram, forcing users to use the cache clearer, that would be a more realistic solution. Knowing the Discord API and slightly how glitch works, this wouldn’t be possible, as the bot has to “Log In” to receive requests, and, owning a bot in 5.6k servers (on glitch until about 1k, though I still have other projects here), there would be no reason to have every single server use another bot just to keep it online.

There are many other reasons why this isn’t a realistic solution, based on the Discord API’s current limitations, the way Glitch works, and the way the API wrappers work, though there could be many other solutions.

3 Likes

I totally agree with you.

2 Likes

For those of you wondering why glitch is blocking services.
Glitch is hosted on AWS and AWS is getting DDoS’d.

4 Likes

yep, so basically glitch is getting DDOSed in a way because the core service they run on is being attacked

4 Likes

Should AWS have a better DDoS protection? Interesting still.

3 Likes

Sorry, but that’s exactly what I’m doing with glitch too. Because the glitch editor is a horrible mess, and most of the glitch website tries to be all funky with non-intuitive buttons and icons anyway. I much prefer working and running my stuff locally and then pushing it whenever ready, unless it’s like a quick one-line change. For any actual work, the editor is unusable.

2 Likes

For autopingers I suggest they send head requests to minimize bandwith usage. I believe this can result in a 2x or more bandwith saving but i’m not sure if this will still wake the projects

2 Likes