Please add the ability to delete projects

Glitch should add an option to permanently delete projects, and a button to delete all archived projects in one click.

I agree it.

1 Like

If you do not know already, you can also email support@glitch.com or get a ticket from glitch.happyfox.com.

1 Like

Yes, but that’s somewhat inconvenient and takes quite a bit of time.

I think this should never be added due to the fact that archiving works just as well. You can’t edit, view, or do any of that stuff plus unarchive it. Why would you want to permanently delete code when you should use it later on future projects?

1 Like

Sometimes it’s a mistake, sometimes you don’t want to have to rename it before archiving it and would rather delete it, etc. It should be up to the user whether they want to archive or delete. I think this should be added

1 Like

Yeah, but that is only occasionally, and emailing is like the “are you sure” type thing.

1 Like

And woah, it just been four hours, and I’ve reread this. You want a button to delete all archived projects? What if a brother/sister archived your best projects and deleted it. I’d rather email, because someone might have some rude folks, just saying…

If you have rude siblings/family who might delete your projects, you should just log out after you are done with coding for the day.

1 Like

What if you use a password manager?

Your family shouldn’t know the password for your password manager, and if yours doesn’t ask for a password after closing your browser, it’s most likely insecure because its decryption keys are saved somewhere on your hard drive.

1 Like

Ah heck no! I code 24/7! I wouldn’t log out, because I gotta log back in a second later! So your saying every 12 hours I log out just to go use the bathroom then log back in? Every second counts!

Also we might have some nice jams to get to and we need to use glitch or something, and, then, literally any second counts. Deleting projects by email is a lot better than folks using your password (remember those seconds) and getting rid of everything.

1 Like

No offence, but just because your siblings might take it to their advantage doesn’t mean that Glitch should not add a feature to delete. Its probably 1 : 1 million that would have that problem and possibly they could just make it so if you email you can have the delete feature removed. Your siblings deleting projects is a trivial inconvenience compared to that of many having to email Glitch every week to remove projects. MongoDB have an option to drop a database just by clicking a button and typing in the name of the database you want to remove, repl.it probably have a function to delete. Glitch should add this and shouldn’t not do so because of a few people’s small problems compared to the big problem of project removal

2 Likes

Yes, let’s say that. But Glitch should add this, differently. Glitch should ask for your password, and name of the repo, and it would be like a Glitch sudo mode. But I don’t get why anyone would delete their code. (hem hem @ihack2712)

1 Like

If you wanna pearmeantly delete a project’s data and protect it from prying eyes, just first nuke it with rm -rf * in the terminal(untested). If you don’t trust that you can always shred the file

(if there is a large amount of content here please disregard it, as I am testing out replying through email)
If you have siblings, then you should all have their own user account so all their browser sessions do not conflict. At least make a specific browser profile for them if you can’t do that. If you worried they’ll switch to it, you can just move it from the folder and encrypt it with a password. Unless your siblings have figured out how to make an illegal keylogger you should be safe.

1 Like

+1 for this idea.

Well, @javaarchive’s one liner is the way to go. Using rm -rf * will delete everything on the container, and it’s pretty much impossible to anything on the project afterwards.

What now?

3 Likes

I see a lot of people talking about how you can just archive it so you can re-use the code. However, I’m sure more than one person here has accidentally remixed hello-webpage - right now I have 27 hello-webages and hello-expresses just sitting around because of my slidy cursor. You have my vote!

4 Likes