Projects suspended for using pings

Hello,

As many of you here know, in response to recent service incidents, we have made the difficult decision to permanently block ping services. You can read more about this here.

As a result, projects that continue to use ping-type packages to keep their projects awake will be suspended permanently.

While these project will remain suspended, you are welcome to download your project’s code. If you are a member of the suspended project, you will now see this option when you go to the project page.

If you had a bot suspended for this reason, your account with Glitch remains in good standing. If you would like to continue using Glitch, you are welcome to do so for other types of projects.

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! Assume it was an automated check for packages like keepalive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

People are getting a bit fustrated as they removed the actual code using these packages, but still keeped them installed - I believe as it was automated, it didn’t actually check the code. Is this right?

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, there has been a fair deal of talk about this.

3 Likes

If you just add the code to ping the project it won’t get suspended right?

But if you use npm packages like keepalive, it would.

All pinging is banned. They wont have an automated process for looking at code, but they reserve the right to suspend your project if you ping it

2 Likes

Ah. Thanks for making it clear :wink:

1 Like

@Starga123 can’t reply to this topic as they are a new user. They have asked me to send over something similar to this message:

They say that they had the keepalive package/code, but weren’t using it, in 2 projects and that one of these 2 projects were boosted. They say that Glitch didn’t announce the change in pinging and have waited 3 days and have had no reply from @glitch_support via email.

1 Like

@tasha maybe instead of blocking the projects, just block the installation request of the files ? Or throw an error when a blocked package is in the dependencies ?

1 Like

PSA: Glitch does not allow pinging services I have done this for more information.

Thank you so much! I was so worried about the files.

1 Like

Yes or instead when starting just show a error like this project was suspended and it cannot be started but you can edit it.

“throw an error when a blocked package is in the dependencies” is better because right now, when there is an error in the file where dependencies are listed, the project can’t start at all. You can still edit. And your project doesn’t have to be suspended as it simply can’t start with the packages.

Great! Thanks, I really appreciate this

1 Like

Sorry but, i cannot even download my project, my project is too large for the glitch servers, so when i download it the API will breaks.

Can you clone it to your pc with git?

@SplitXPlayZ Refer to https://github.com/youngchief-btw/Glitch-Docs/blob/master/docs/md/GitURL.md for details on Glitch URL format

TL;DR: https://api.glitch.com/git/[project name] (this would be if it’s public, if not add your access token like so https://[access token]@api.glitch.com/git/[project name])

If cloning doesn’t work try contacting support@glitch.com

1 Like

ive stopped pinging my project since the ban was announced, however my project is awake most of the times and im not sure if its something/someone pinging it or if its just people using it, is there a way i could check? i only used uptimerobot to keep it up and now that its banned i stopped them from pinging. ive also been trying to upgrade and become a boosted member but glitch isnt accepting my card, i have emailed glitch support and i was told to contact my card company and theyll solve it which i will do however i need to figure out something till then since i really dont want to get my project suspended if its being pinged and i also want to keep it up without breaking the tos

2 Likes

No, i cannot. 20chars