PSA: Glitch does not allow pinging services

Hello! I’ve seen many people ask these questions:

When does the ping block end?

Sorry, but it won’t. That was why Glitch was down a lot because everyone used UptimeRobot to keep their apps awake. Therefore, Glitch has made the ban permanent.

How do I prevent my project from sleeping? It always sleeps when I close the tab.

You can no longer use pinging apps like UptimeRobot.
These are banned because everyone used pinging apps to keep apps awake, which was using a lot of resources, and if Glitch is to stay free to use, they have to limit resources used.

What can I do to solve this problem/issue?

You have three options:

• You can buy Glitch Premium so that you can boost your projects and keep your Discord bots 24/7 with Always On and no rate-limits
  • You can switch to another host (like Heroku, Vercel, Repl.it or a VPS like DigitalOcean) although none of them are as good as hosting on Glitch
  • You could self-host on your own computer/laptop although a Raspberry Pi with good cooling (experience from a guy who ran a pi for a week, I do not want someone’s house to be set on fire) would be much better for self-hosting or you can use android (see this post).

@TheBigC (Edited by @EddiesTech, @khalby786, @idodev, @RiversideRocks, @javaarchive, @OkayBoomer, @ihack2712 and @tiagorangel2011)

10 Likes

Turn this into a wiki.

@Anish All Done! Now a wiki!

@anon69241012 how do u do wiki’s

3 dot menu and admin settings and make wiki

The fix, at least for me is to boost my apps :wink:

1 Like

@anon69241012 I changed some things

The monitor bot is SO ANNOYING, they say they will remove my project form their service, and they still did’t. Even though my app was boosted :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Looks like because this is a wiki, I can edit it, so I’ma fix it up a bit :slight_smile:
Edit: Done!

Okay, I just edited the wiki.

1 Like

edited it :slight_smile:

20chars

Tbh, I don’t think there is a point in that last sentence - yes, it’s kind of correct, but it just seems a bit harsh as Glitch has done videos showing how to make discord bots and such. I’m gonna remove that.

Thanks @RiversideRocks for rephrasing this.

1 Like

I wish they made this more obvious rather than PERMA banning any bot that uses it. I had Glitch Premium which kept my project alive and I STILL got a ban.

Wait, what? That shouldn’t happen because you are allowed to host Discord bots 24/7 with Glitch Premium. By ban, do you mean your project was suspended or was your bot banned by Discord?

Yes by ban I mean suspended. It may as well be a ban since it seems Glitch support ignores all emails and messages.

@Starga123, if your project got suspended it can be because of various other reasons and not just pinging. Glitch Support usually replies to their emails during their regular business hours of Mon-Fri 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. EST. Btw, do you have a package called keepalive in your package.json by any chance?

Yes which is what I’ve read to be the reason. But glitch should not just suspend a project to then not help?
I’m fully aware of the hours, but it’s been 3 days now since my message on Facebook and Email with no response.

That is weird, I’ll ping @glitch_support.

Hey, I didn’t know this at the time and now my bot has been suspended. Is there anychance I can get access to my bot code?

PS I have deleted my uptime and keeping bot on 24/7 info…