Raspbery pi hosting

If I get a raspbery pi to host my own site do I need a domain?

Not technically, whatever web server you run would be accessible by your public IP address but I would not recommend self-hosting with a Raspberry Pi, or at all.

You would need to open up a port on your router and forward that to your Raspberry Pi which can open up some security vulnerabilities that may affect any device on your local network. On top of that it’s pretty common for ISPs to cycle public IP addresses so you’d face regular, unpredictable downtime.

Glitch (and several other similar platforms) handle all that for you for little to no cost.

4 Likes

Raspberry Pi is best for hosting discord bots, but not for websites.

but can I still use a custom domain for it

Yes you would just have to use an A record.

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 10.25.00 AM

who Owns example.com

IANA I think. It is reserved so people can use it in examples.

@idodev IANA owns that domain.

who is that @anon69241012

Its essentially the company that regulates domains and IPs.

Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

According to Wikipedia

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority is a standards organization that oversees global IP address allocation, autonomous system number allocation, root zone management in the Domain Name System, media types, and other Internet Protocol-related symbols and Internet numbers.

@anon69241012 check your DM

@idodev I will check

@TheBigC I don’t see anything

Is lavacode your alt @TheBigC lol

Ok, I think we are getting a bit off-topic. You guys can always use DMs :slight_smile:

NO I am not an alt

As in “Hey! Kidz is being released in a few minutes! Check it out” Not like graphic design etc.

wut do u mean?