React To Posts With Emoji Plugin

Hello.

Everyone familiar with Discord knows about reacting with emojis to messages. Well, what if we had such a thing for this Discourse forum? Sometimes an emoji reaction is worth a post and can save valuable time rather than typing. They say, “an emoji is worth a 1000 words”.

Introducing the all new (not really new) Discourse plugin for Slack-style reaction to posts!

ⓘ This plugin is stable, supported and works with the latest Discourse.

I like this idea but want to make sure it’s a friendly and helpful addition to the forum - what emojis do y’all think we should allow in the set if we were to install this?

3 Likes

~friendly-emojis?

Or the ones that GitHub uses?

3 Likes

How about that set, without the thumbs down, laugh and confused faces?

I find confused and laugh useful for github!

The thumbs down would be useful for #feature-ideas , the laugh is for stuff that is funny, and the confused face is for like if you are confused.

This is how I think about it, but yes, I can tell you are thinking about it in a bad way like the laughing one can be used to make fun of someone, etc. But I think the glitch community is friendly enough to not do that.

I think an experiment should be done. Use all of those emojis that @khalby786 suggested, but if people use this for bullying, then remove them. After all, people can already reply with negative stuff, and you can’t take away replys.

3 Likes

I’ll talk to the team about it! But I just want to be up front that I am very much against introducing downvoting-esque reactions in the forum. I very much prefer giving context to users with words vs. expecting them to parse what an emoji that is vague and/or negative means.

6 Likes