Recurring "Hmm.. We're having trouble connecting. Try refreshing?"

We are really sorry to hear that.

It might be related to RAM usage. Do you know if your project or any of the libraries it uses consumes a large amount of memory?

Moreover, would you mind giving us access again to the project? You can send the join link to me as a PM.

Thank you, and sorry for all the trouble! We really appreciate your feedback :slight_smile:

I made it public. There’s a fair amount of code, but nothing particularly
large afaik

Also note that this happens a lot when I’m at work, but seldom at home, so
it does seem like it may have something to do with the connection (although
the ping times are reasonable at work).

“Offline editing” would be overkill for my needs. The network hiccups are
significantly less than 1s long (as shown by the ping times). The trouble
is that a 100ms hiccup can kill a minute of work (better people than I
would only lose a minute, but for me it often takes a couple of minutes to
track down what exactly was deleted, so I am frequently typing the same
code several times).

Hi Sparkdust,

Yes, I perfectly understand the situation… Losing work is never a nice experience, and it gets some time just to focus again on what you just typed.

Thanks for telling us it only happens on certain connections. I tried to remix your project and play with it with various network conditions, but without any “luck”: I couldn’t reproduce your experience. We are actively working on making the experience more stable on a wider variety of connections, starting from immediately telling the user when the connection goes away.

At this point, I’d say that it’s a connectivity issue. But just to clear any other possibility, I suggest you to remix your project too and see if you experience the same bugs on the remix. If the problems go away, then perhaps the virtual drive that your project use has some hidden failure (which I deem very unlikely, but…).

Keep us posted :slight_smile: thank you!

Hi Sparkdust,

as a temporary solution, until we work out ways of improving the overall link between the client and the server, do you think the situation would improve if we tell you immediately when a change to the file you are editing is not sent to the server within a reasonable amount of time? This would at least tell you that the connection has been lost or is flakey…

Although it would be useful to know that I’m about to lose work, I would
consider that significantly lower priority to the longer-term fix of making
sure that the work continues over a connection hiccup.

Thank you :slight_smile:

we always prefer to provide incremental improvements instead of starting directly on a long term solution that might take weeks or month to achieve :slight_smile: I agree that our target will be to provide a good experience even in presence of connection hiccups.

Sorry again for this inconvenience, we hope to be able to close this bug very soon!

And thanks for all the feedback.

1 Like

I see this error with 100% consistency when pasting in a large-ish text file (750kb). Dragging-and-dropping the file has the same effect — text appears, this error is shown, and then the content of the file disappears.

Is there some undocumented limit I’m running into, or is this a bug?

Yep - that’s it. There’s a limit on the size you can paste. Try doing it in stages or import it as part of a repo.

Thanks! Pasting in chunks of ~2000 lines worked. I can’t import from GitHub repos because of the permissions required, but probably I should try to get this into NPM instead of a 750kb JS file. :slight_smile: