Running Swift on HyperDev

After I saw the proof-of-concept for using Python on HyperDev https://support.hyperdev.com/t/server-side-python-proof-of-concept/94, I wanted to install and use Swift.

I am following this dockerfile for installing Swift https://github.com/swiftdocker/docker-swift/blob/master/Dockerfile but I get an error when running apt-get:

W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (1: Operation    not permitted)
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Of course, I cannot use sudo.
What can I do for solving this issue?

Thanks,
Domenico

Hey Domenico - with our new back-end, users no longer have root access on the container anymore, so such methods won’t work. You might be able to install Swift on the /app folder, but with the current 128MB space limit, it’s probably not enough. However, we’re working on support for new languages as I type, so hopefully we’ll have some more options for you shortly.

Hey @Gareth on which language support are you guys currently working? Do you have a priorization of any sort?
Sorry for being kinda offtopic

We’re working on the capability to support all languages. Once that’s done then we’ll be working on front-end optimizations to make working with each language a good experience, starting with the highest priority languages.

Priortization comes from a mixture of user requests and some practical considerations that make some more likely early contenders than others. So dynamic web languages are easier to implement well than compiled languages. We’ve found that we really need to get changes deployed and presented in under a couple of seconds for the experience to feel good. So it makes options like Java more tricky. That’s not to rule it out completely (we have a working prototype of it already), but it probably won’t be first up. Golang is quick so is still in there. Python, Perl, and Ruby seem like strong choices.

1 Like