Unique IP(s) for boosted members

Hello! I’m not sure how all Glitch’s gateway/proxy stuff works, but I’ve noticed that my bots/servers sometimes hit IP-based API rate limits (e.g. for Wikipedia’s API) even though I’m making requests slowly enough. I figure this is because I’m sharing an IP with lots of other servers/bots?

If that’s the case, would it be possible to have an IP per 5 boosted apps, or something like that? I could work around this by proxying requests through a VPS, but it would be a bit hacky and not fun to maintain (especially since the simplicity of Glitch is the whole selling point for me).

Note: Edited topic for better clarity.

3 Likes

IPv6 has a whole range of IPs, that could be useful for Glitch.

4 Likes

Even though I’m not a boosted user, I think this would be a great idea as it would separate real users from potential spam users.

3 Likes

For rate limiting of IPv6, the last 64 bits (i.e. the last half) of the address tend to be ignored: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10967534/rate-limiting-banning-ips-in-ipv6

There are just way too many IPv6 addresses, so people can buy a billion of them for like a dollar, and bypass all the “naive” rate-blockers. That’s why APIs rate-limiters tend to ignore of the last half of your IPv6 address.

So IPv6 doesn’t really help with the rate-limiting side of things, unfortunately :[

There are septilions of possible IPv6 addresses.