What types are allowed in assets now?

Some file types, such as the good ol’ application/octet-stream, are not allowed anymore. What’s allowed now?

1 Like

Let me make a suggestion to Glitch-folk. When you see these types of questions it typically means that the answer isn’t obvious and/or easy to find. There are dozens if not hundreds of these types of “fact-type” questions. Not “what is wrong with my code” but “what are the limits”, etc. and searching through messages looking for answers is the worst possible solution. These should be added to an FAQ every time one is asked and answered. My 2 cents anyway…

1 Like

Hi there - so more often than not when something like this is asked and we have the answer, we do update the Help Center. Which we’ll do for this question once I confirm that we’re done working on asset file type allowance!

1 Like

Probaly image files, eg ico, png
Not sure if exe files are allowed, wouldnt see why not

1 Like

Thanks Jenn. You can see people are simply guessing.

2 Likes

Well, one internet safety provider did flag glitch as a malcious site, so best I guess don’t allow uploading programs to the cdn.

1 Like

To expand on what @tleylan said, it might be a good idea to have a section in the Help area, next to the FAQ, of “Recently Updated” articles. So when something major has changed it’s easier to find. It’s probably a good marketing opportunity as well, content-wise.

1 Like

I’d like to look at that “Recently Updated” section, but they don’t have it anymore

or is there another FAQ?

1 Like

That’s the only one as far as I know. But I honestly never look at it because I never have very technical questions. I think the platform is pretty intuitive and I use it mostly for simple front end projects or backend code I want to store with easier access than Github. If it’s changed in the past few years I haven’t noticed.

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea, I’ll see if that’s possible to add in!

2 Likes

@christina New section for recently updated articles was just added, thanks again for the suggestion!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! No prob, I’m glad I could help :slight_smile: I used to work as a web producer so I tend to notice content strategy/management/UX stuff like that. I find that technical docs, help guides, etc. are challenging to update because the people writing them are so close to the information. At the end of the day though, people suck at searching for things and get overwhelmed by TMI (myself included). Hopefully you guys see less repeat questions now.

2 Likes

very true, could be a risk

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.