Why did glitch make private projects paid?

i dont wanna use glitch now because i cant make my projects private anymore. why glitch did this?

Money, thats all.

First of all,they need money to maintain the main community and the forum.So i wouldn’t complain if it keeps glitch running
Second of all,why is it so bad if your project isn’t private Snap(berkeley and craft) don’t do this(yes i get the former is block based but the latter isn’t)

2 Likes

Um,why do you think they need the money?to pay the mods and domain

3 Likes

Haha, there’s more to it than meets the eye. Glitch run on AWS EC2 containers and there’s a more than 10000 projects, all of which use different amount of resources additionally with boosted apps. So they’ve got to pay for that, plus all that you mentioned and much more.

6 Likes

@SelimEmin i’d rather pay for the stuff and have glitch be able to sustain itself than leave glitch

4 Likes

Yes, while they depend on funds from a variety of sources, they also depend on the boosted apps paid plan.

4 Likes

I recommend you have a look at Amazon’s pricing, this stuff doesn’t grow on trees:

4 Likes

Dang,and i bet the discourse template ain’t cheap either

2 Likes

In the spirit of open source yall need to not complain abt it.

3 Likes

actually you can get it free if you know how to code

.-.
Yeah i mean to maintain

I don’t think Glitch uses the open-source granted version of Discourse, I believe they pay for it.

1 Like

yeah, I assumed, but im just saying you can

1 Like

Discourse lets open source and crowdfunded projects have free forums, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Yeah, after they meet certain criteria.

Okay everyone this topic,i’m just gonna say it could be a lot worse.We could lose categories private messages and have even less communication with mods.In Berkeley snap’s forums,we’ve lost uncategorized,have no way too private message,and our forums equivalent to teams on glitch(the categories called project collaboration).just be happy you don’t have to pay to use this forum or to use glitch in general

After all, forums are meant for “civilized discussions”, not chatting.

2 Likes

Glitch pays for this forum, but I believe Glitch is doing ok financially. Snap you must understand is owned by a University and funding is allocated by the university, which probably isn’t doing as well these days with Covid-19.

2 Likes

yeah,i know but since we lost those categories,and still haven’t been able to pm.The only upside is we have more communication with the mods even with all the topics people make on those forums

1 Like