Wiki.js.org on Glitch

This page contains the information on how to create your very own instance of wiki.js.org

Requested in:

9 Likes

I typically like nodejs apps because I can read JavaScript easier and most of them use databases that glitch supports.

2 Likes

I set it up and it looks very good! It’s like a clean take on wikipedia.

1 Like

If you want it you can also customize the css or turn on dark mode in the administration page under the theme section :slight_smile:

looks amazing and is easy to set up

1 Like

Lemme make a bash script for the installation process to get the process faster. Coming soon in GitLab

Btw, while I am on the Wiki.js requirements page, I observed that SQLite is NOT RECOMMENDED for production deployments as what this screenshot below says.

Next, here’s more about requirements on installing Wiki.js. Most of people who had subscribed to Glitch’s paid plan can survive this.

• To fully make use of the background workers, we need at least 2 cores.
  • While Wiki.js itself usually sits at around 70MB of memory, some events result in short brusts in RAM usage. (see note 1)
  • Forget about storage issues of your wiki is completely Markdown-formatted text files. If we add media, docs, PDFs, and other stuff, expect local storage issues, even with people who unlocked Glitch Project Boosters for individuals. (see note 2)

Notes

1. Linux systems (e.g Ubuntu 16.04) should have at least 1GB of RAM to run Wiki.js. Windows and macOS systems usually require a bit more RAM, but because we’re deploying Wiki.js to Glitch, forget about Windows.
  2. Asking about Glitch Project Boosters for teams? I don’t know what Glitch offers for teams who can afford their paid plans for organizations in the future, but surely larger than personal plans. Sorry for that spoiler!

Wiki.js doesn’t use a full gigabyte of ram, nor does it need a gigabyte of storage, these are just recommendations. The system runs completely fine on Glitch. You can also use Glitch assets for image hosting and other media types instead of deploying resources directly to glitch’s container.

When it comes to SQLite, I used SQLite for simplicity reasons, if you want to you can create a Postgres database, before you setup Wiki.js you can add a postgres database to the config.yml file.

2 Likes

Would I be able to create documentation for an API or a module using this?

Their API Documentation feature is “coming soon”. I recommend learning something like GraphQL which is documented inline. Or for a restful API you should use the Open APIs Spec.

Aaaaannnd, I am now done on crafting a script to automate the installation process for Wiki.js in Glitch. I’ll test my script soon as I hop back to the Glitch editor.

## Currently work-in-progress, proceed at your own risk. Feedback are welcome!
curl -sL https://gitlab.com/MadeByThePinsTeam-DevLabs/bash-scripts-templates/-/raw/master/templates/glitch/wiki.js/setup.sh?inline=false | bash

To-Do

As the script is under progress, I listed my to-dos to make things better for my script. Feedback and contributions are welcome in improving my script!

• Add prompt for users to confirm if their project slug are changed before pulling the tarballs.
  • Create the upgrade script for current installations.

I think every project using wikijs went down? Since my one (custom URL) and https://wikijsorg.glitch.me is not working anymore

All glitch projects seem to be slow to wake up today, especially ones with wiki.js. But it will eventually load.

1 Like

We have one issue, we need to migrate our wiki DB to Postgres on the next major version. Can we install Postgres in Glitch?

My package.json is apparently deleted and i’ve never touched to package.json
Screenshot_438

edit: i will just make a new project and wait 2 years to get my custom domain removed
Screenshot_439

I suppose you could try to rewind.

Hmm, my one loaded within seconds, not sure what is going on with Glitch atm.

1 Like

I dont think it will work since it shows only this:
Screenshot_442

I suppose you could contact support@glitch.com for a rewind.

Thank you so much for this! I just set up a wiki with this!

1 Like