Yeeturl, a end-to-end encrypted URL shortener

and please disable previews for rick rolling it’ll take the fun out of them

The comment above mine and below yours says why this would be a bad idea.

They could still add a feature like https://yeeturl.glitch.me/preview/URL.
And if you are talking about rick rolls then they can still be disguised.

Can you all explain how the previews should work? I was thinking about some kind of card that displays information about the website extracted from metatags, just like Discord does.

Metatags can be easily fooled:

You would think this does to the Glitch website, but it goes to my website instead.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think previews make sense at all for a URL shortener. They would have to be generated on the client side anyway.

;-;

I guess this is my next project, A meta tag mimic

able to afford a big database

@leeceeksdee
it looks like that the api actually accept links with expiration times =
(Infinity,very large numbers and negative numbers), would you like to add some server side verification of the expiration time? (although actually it expires almost immediately)

It also accepts large expiration times such as this link: yeeturl (expires after 999999 months)

Ya you need to

This is what you can do if you change the “max” attribute

note that I am not going to put this, I’m just saying that there should be some backend thing so people can’t glitch the system and have urls for years.

Can’t you use post or your own slider to achieve this?

2 Likes

Yep. I noticed this too. The shortening of links will be blocked for a few days until this will be resolved. Existing links will continue to work, but I’ll probably delete that link above which expires after a large amount of time (this kind of breaks the terms).

This has been fixed and all features are back up.

To be honest, if I used a link shortner that has links that expired after a year, I would not use it.

3 Likes

It really depends on your use case - personally, I just use this service to switch between browsing websites on my phone and computer without any intrusive syncing features or a company mining my URLs to “analyze traffic and trends”.
Also, see question 2 in privacy.txt:

We are low on storage space and want to keep our service running properly even if there’s a high demand for it.

Our storage space isn’t extremely low, but I’m sure it will keep on adding up really fast - I’m already getting emails asking if there’s an API available (presumably to use the service for other websites).

P.S. API documentation is coming soon.

I already found out how the API works by looking at the code, so yeah.

1 Like

The API is very simple to use, but I want to make it easier to understand for people who (for example) don’t have time to look at code or don’t like reverse engineering stuff.

Can I help with this?

1 Like

Sure! Everything is open-source so all you need to do in order to contribute is make a pull request.

1 Like

Where is the code hosted?

Everything is available at https://github.com/yeeturl

If you are looking for what’s running on Glitch, you want https://github.com/yeeturl/node-server

2 Likes