How would i create a redirect 404 page for many pages?

I would like to know how to create a custom 404 redirect page, i have already did this but when i create new pages and go to them the 404 error pops up. The original source was from A way to make custom 404 page for glitch website applications?

Same way with routing, but the address would be *

How do I handle 404 responses?

In Express, 404 responses are not the result of an error, so the error-handler middleware will not capture them. This behavior is because a 404 response simply indicates the absence of additional work to do; in other words, Express has executed all middleware functions and routes, and found that none of them responded. All you need to do is add a middleware function at the very bottom of the stack (below all other functions) to handle a 404 response:

app.use(function (req, res, next) {
  res.status(404).send("Sorry can't find that!")
})

Add routes dynamically at runtime on an instance of express.Router() so the routes are not superseded by a middleware function.

1 Like

That is not how it is done. Or the way I do it.

how do you do it then?

Default code for a page, replace the / with a *

1 Like
app.get("*", (req, res) => {
    res.send("Error: 404")
});

This may work

1 Like

ThT is what I said. :stuck_out_tongue:

Howdy I am Gonna be direct!

If you want to Have a HTML File Load if a Page is Not found You can use
This Little Snippit of code in your Server.js (or with ever file starts your page)

app.use(function(req, res, next) {
res.status(404).sendFile(__dirname + “/Your_page_Name.html”);

Hope i helped
});

@Boofhead1000, isn’t that what @SudhanPlayz said?

@khalby786 My code Calls a File If it unable to find the page The Other one Just displays Text on the Screen
So you have 2 Options!

@SudhanPlayz Code:

app.get("*", (req, res) => {
    res.send("Error: 404")
}); 

Which Just Puts Small Text on the screen Simple or
Mine:

app.use(function(req, res, next) {
res.status(404).sendFile(__dirname + “/Your_file_path.file”);
});

Which you can Use to Call a File to Display

So kinda what he said But My code Does Something Different
Just wanted add to This Page

1 Like

idk if its just me bot it says app undefined

make sure you have

const express = require("express")
const app = express()

at the top of your code.

A note on the function above, it will only work if you put it at the bottom of your file

1 Like

Is this a .js, or something else?

Hi @Orion_American_Gamin! So that snippet of code is for the .js file that your npm run script calls on. This is an older thread from when our Node starter used Express as middleware, today it uses Fastify, in case you want to search for the right snippet for your project!