Installing Visual Studio Codeserver on Glitch

I was wondering if everyone was ignoring this because there was something wrong with it. But it worked for me. I was able to install it with their standalone package:

#!/bin/sh -eux
CS_VERSION=3.7.1
if [ -x ~/.local/bin/code-server ]; then
  exit 0
fi
mkdir -p ~/.local/bin
cd /tmp
wget "https://github.com/cdr/code-server/releases/download/v$CS_VERSION/code-server-$CS_VERSION-linux-amd64.tar.gz"
tar -xf "code-server-$CS_VERSION-linux-amd64.tar.gz"
ln -s "/tmp/code-server-$CS_VERSION-linux-amd64/bin/code-server" ~/.local/bin/

Anyway, it uses plenty of memory, but it’s still within parameters for an un-boosted project. Dunno how fast it grows with a larger project open though.

It takes about 300 MB on disk, which seems to be no sweat as long as you’re outside of /app.

app@sugary-internal-mascara:~ 01:23 
$ du -sh /tmp/code-server-3.7.1-linux-amd64
300M    /tmp/code-server-3.7.1-linux-amd64

app@sugary-internal-mascara:~ 01:32 
$ df -h /tmp
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/xvda1       49G   21G   28G  43% /tmp

Can’t let the public see this demo because then they would be able to trash the project. But you could remix it and do cat /tmp/code-server-config.yaml to see the password for logging in to your own copy.

Some caveats:

1. Setting PASSWORD as an environment variable is broken in this version of code-server. so I rigged it up to use a config file in /tmp.
  2. This takes up the www port that Glitch serves for you, so maybe (i) try out this GitHub - coder/code-server: VS Code in the browser hosted solution, (ii) set up a reverse proxy, or (iii) just work on something that isn’t a website.

Thanks for highlighting this thread @RiversideRocks

7 Likes