New Glitch competitor: Repl.it 1.0

Repl.it announced on their blog today that you can now write full-stack applications on Repl.it:

https://repl.it/site/blog/platform

Sounds like a big deal, maybe finally a worthy Glitch competitor. But I’ve only read the blog post so far, not tried it.

Eager to hear others’ opinions!

2 Likes

Competition is good imho, I kinda like the repl.it environment, not a big fan though.

The main differences I see are the following:

• Glitch is way more user friendly but has power user features too, Repl looks more focused to the expert tier.
  • Glitch is focused in collaborative editing and bootstraping applications. Altough Repl allows certain level of collaboration, it’s not its focus.
  • Glitch has a lot of focus in removing the environment setup pain for new or curious users that want to start coding, Repl kind of does this too, but less explicit (lack of standarized templates).
  • Repl.it has more power in their instances for bigger applications, Glitch not that much but afaik this is going to change soon.

Let’s see what they can offer when released and how can Glitch be improved too. Thanks for sharing!

7 Likes

I wanted to give an update on this, I know this was a LONG time ago, but it just recently made some changes, making them go from great to bad.

So Replit was a worthy commpetitor of Glitch for a long time. It was what I had been using all the way up until 2024, and then things went down hill. Back in 2023, Replit made a announcement about a new update for Replit. First, they took a way free deployments for everything aside from static hosting, and even for static hosting, you had to have a registered credit card on your account. This was pretty bad, and that was one of the reasons why I moved to glitch

Later in 2023 they added a new announcement that at the same time hosting was changed, they would then go and remove comments on all projects. This was just sad. The community was great, I actually had friends on it that I liked to program with, and then POOF, all gone.

Someone even said in the Replit community forums that, and I quote

Replit is just going to become a bad Github

Do I agree? Yes. The only thing that I like replit for now-a-days is the python sharing, and even that, you need to fork (Replit’s version of Remixing) a project to run it, which was one of the changes. This was also annoying because they limited your storage so you have to delete everything you fork less you want to run out of storage.

I would like to see some other people who are former Replit users agree with me on this.

1 Like

I started making some small stuff on replit but quickly came back to glitch. I’m not sure if this is still a problem, but I really don’t like how they changed the project domains from project.repl.it to username.repl.it/project and also some other small issues.