An update on pinging services + Glitch

Hi friends,

Today we’ve posted a company update on our new policy on pinging Glitch apps to keep them awake. This policy comes with an update to our Terms of Service, which I encourage you to read as well.

The gist of this is that we are now permanently banning use of pinging services (third-party or built on Glitch) to keep apps on Glitch awake, as part of our efforts to stabilize and support the platform.

If you have further questions, we encourage you to reach out to us at support@glitch.com. We appreciate your patience and your support as we work towards improving the platform so you all can keep creating!

Jenn

21 Likes

Most of the web apps here don’t have to be up 24/7 and glitch is more meant for that so I think this a good decision. However discord bots need to be up 24/7. To counter this you can also host a website on the same container for your discord bot if it’s popular and people visiting the website help keep the bot up.

5 Likes

In accordance with:

j. Infrastructure Integrity

We reserve the right to delete, suspend, or terminate your access to, or ability to use, any and all Services that we determine to be placing undue strain on our infrastructure. These changes were made in response to ping services on Glitch and our efforts to make the site more stable. You can read more about those efforts here.

Can’t we ping every 5 or more minutes to keep our website active?

This is a real shame, but if it has to be done, then so be it. However, please do consider moving custom/better looking loading pages up the road-map :slight_smile:
Eddie

7 Likes

No, we no longer allow pinging Glitch apps to keep them awake.

3 Likes

What’s wrong with pinging every 4 minutes?

1 Like

Also consider changing Glitch guides/forum posts that recommend using these services as they now don’t work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m currently pinging a ton of my apps. Will they all just get suspended now?

2 Likes

Bye bye Discord community :wave:

P.S. This will probably have a huge impact on the Glitch Pro plan. So I guess Glitch will benefit from this, but at the same time loose a huge part of the community.

16 Likes

It had a huge strain on the Glitch service. Please read the blog post provided for more info

2 Likes

Well it wouldn’t be good to have a bunch of processes that aren’t doing anything. Unless you have a popular app(then you wouldn’t need a ping service to keep it up the users will help keep it up by visiting it), you don’t need to keep the site up when no one is using it

I hate it when something like make8bitart.com doesn’t load because other stuff that isn’t really being used(small websites, discord bots that get used only every once in a while) stopping it from loading.

2 Likes

As said on the blog post - no they don’t get suspended, they just won’t be pinged

2 Likes

Yeah I think some of the people on my rickroll clicked away before it even loaded because of the loading screen

2 Likes

I mean @jenn, you do understand people will still try to get around this. We have seen a huge amount of posts from people who have managed to get around the block. I think this will be fine for Web projects, if you added nicer loading pages, but Discord bots, which were what made Glitch so much popular will be gone. :frowning: Hey, ho! Guess my bots are dead!

3 Likes

If Glitch finds out they reserve the right to lift your access to the service.

9 Likes

Yes, I guess they can just do that for the rulebreakers!

This sucks, I’m currently running a Discord bot in 300+ servers, so seems like I’m still able to self ping the project. Might need to move to a VPS!

4 Likes

I would be fine with this change if the time that apps stayed idle without sleeping for was a bit longer. But this change is definitely turning me away from Glitch, which is sad. The pro plan just doesn’t compete with cheap VPS solutions, despite the ease of deployment.

I can’t see myself continuing to use Glitch for much longer, it’s been rather unreliable in lots of ways. I can’t complain, after all Glitch is a free host - and was one of the best.

4 Likes

Same. Why does it need to be 5 minutes? I understand it’s to keep Glitch fast for everyone, but can it be increased now that pinging services are blocked?

1 Like

Exactly, I’d understand why it would be necessary for intensive applications. But for idle web apps, having to wait for it to wake up after 5 minutes being idle is frustrating.

It should be determined by CPU processing time, not a set time.

3 Likes