How ignore node_modules in .gitignore

How ignore node_modules preventing restore default settings? When i edit some file in node_modules (e.g. weather-js) then in some time changes are reset in that file.

Changes made manually to node_modules are not guaranteed to be saved long-term, because we don’t store node_modules on the project filesystem (so that you have more space for your files).

If you really need to edit files in node_modules, then you’ll need to switch to npm as the package manager. It has several drawbacks, one of which is that the node_modules folder will take space in your project disk, it will be slower, etc. If you want to continue, then go to the console and run enable-npm.

In npm can i ignore node_modules in .gitignore file?

node_modules is not tracked by git. If you use npm, the changes you make inside node_modules won’t be reset.

Now how prevent to storage full in npm? I mean this error

ERROR ENOSPC: no space left on device, write

fs.js:119

throw err;

^

Error: ENOSPC: no space left on device, write

at Object.writeSync (fs.js:573:3)

at Object.writeFileSync (fs.js:1180:26)

at process.on (/home/nvm/pnpm/lib/node_modules/pnpm/lib/node_modules/pnpm-file-reporter/lib/index.js:25:12)

at process.emit (events.js:187:15)

at processEmit [as emit] (/home/nvm/pnpm/lib/node_modules/pnpm/lib/node_modules/signal-exit/index.js:149:35)

at process.exit (internal/process.js:156:15)

at Timeout.setTimeout [as _onTimeout] (/home/nvm/pnpm/lib/node_modules/pnpm/lib/err.js:10:30)

at ontimeout (timers.js:427:11)

at tryOnTimeout (timers.js:289:5)

at listOnTimeout (timers.js:252:5)

you can’t, this is why npm is disabled by default and you should use pnpm (our default package manager). To switch back to pnpm, run enable-pnpm in the Console.

May I ask you why you’re editing files in node_modules? It’s a very bad practice, you should never do that.

In one file i want translate text to my language.

I see… You might try this then:

1. switch back to pnpm (enable-pnpm).

2. copy the file you changed in another location, for example changed-file.js. Make sure this file already contains the change you need.

3. in your package.json, in the scripts section, add a prestart script:

"prestart": "cp changed-file.js node_modules/path/to/the/actual/file.js"

where “node_modules/path/to/the/actual/file.js” has to be replaced with… the path to the actual file you want to change :slight_smile:

This way you make sure that the file with the corrections is always copied inside node_modules :slight_smile:

Ok thanks for help. I’ll let you know if it worked :slight_smile: