I need to learn the basics

Hi, I just learned about this cool website, and I’m making a website of my own on this. I want to learn the basics of what I can do, and what I can’t. Can I make multiple pages? If so, how do I do so? Can I make buttons to those pages? Can I embed an image/video on the webpage? Someone please contact me about how to do these things, and thank you if you do, I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Hello and welcome!

Making fully-functioning websites and web applications is something that Glitch makes fast, fun, and accessible.

This page https://basic-website.glitch.me shares some quick .gif animations that answer your specific questions. You can view and remix the source code at https://glitch.com/edit/#!/basic-website.

For a more comprehensive introduction to HTML, the awesome engineers at Glitch made this great Intro to HTML resource to help with some basic HTML questions and introductory material.

Have lots of fun making the app of your dreams!

2 Likes

I originally may have read into this wrongly, but if I was correct the first time, then this is what I would have said:

I would also recomend just googling whatever you need every time you need it. Sometimes more than once. Eventually you will know how to do anything you want in HTML. W3Schools and MDN Web Docs are great tools in this case, though make sure you take what they say with a grain of salt.
Also, if you are new to programming as a whole, then I would reccommend learning how to do that first.

However, in the case you know HTML/CSS/JS but you don’t know what is allowed on this site, you can basically do anything. They don’t care if you cheese the system either. How to start a new project: Start a New Project...How?

3 Likes

Frank makes a good point. The sheer amount of times that people building stuff with code search for “How to do $what_you_want with $programming_language” is astounding. The number of times people do search engine searches for how to build what they want with the tools they have available is super high.

For example, “How to embed a video in HTML” may be a very effective search term for your needs. The most challenging thing about learning and building stuff is that everybody has a different understanding and experience of what’s easy or challenging. It’s wild how the human brain works. As soon as we learn how to do something, it’s more challenging to remember what it was like before we understood that thing.

• Sometimes, searching “How to capitalize the first letter of a sentence with CSS” is the fastest way to figure out how to do exactly that task. If you’re lucky, it’ll only take a hot minute to find your answer!
  • It’s super frequent to do 30-90 second “How do I do XYZ in ABC” searches where XYZ is your desired task our outcome and ABC is your programming language, library, framework, or environment are the search engine searches that programmers do dozens or even hundreds of times a day.
  • It’s common to do a search engine search on the documentation itself (MDN or W3Schools for the web) and reading the docs for a few minutes. Docs are awesome and people who author documentation are saints.
  • Sometimes, it takes reading the documentation then finding a tutorial or two or three…
  • Quite often, live working example code is the most helpful way to learn something. That’s one reason (of many) I dig Glitch. Live working examples are awesome!
  • Every so often, you may find that all of the search results don’t make a lick of sense. That’s definitely the time to post on a support forum, raise your hand in the Glitch editor, or ask a question on Stack Overflow.
1 Like