Question about the discord IP bans

I’d rather not remix every time this happens. I’m just hoping it will stop happening as much.

IP bans are not your fault*, and there isn’t much you can do about them. They are caused by people who use glitch to abuse the Discord APIs.

*unless you spam

3 Likes

oh ok. I just wish this would stop happening lol.

1 Like

Would love it if @glitch_support could get into contact with Discord to sort out a better solution for Glitch projects that are spamming on Discord. I am sure Discord would be happy to identify if a bot that is spamming is a Glitch project and send something over to Glitch for them to deal with that individual project. Would make life a lot easier round here on the forum and for others who have their projects banned for no reason :joy:

3 Likes

about 100-500, I think, projects use the same IP so there is no project IP it would be server IP

here’s an idea,also check out We need to fix the discord ban mega-thread whenever a discord request is sent add a request header like project: projectname to tell discord which project is using it’s api and discord can send the names of the bad projects for glitch to suspend. Problem is with https it’s hard to change the headers because of encryption.

Whoa there. It is not really necessary now, because it is hard to ping projects

I don’t think merging with a multi million dollar website is necessary. But what they can do, is grab the token and suspend it. It would be a lot easier.

2 Likes

shouldn’t they just ban the bot or give a warning to the dev?

1 Like

Banning the bot would be a good idea, however, the owner could just use their server to make a new one. Banning the server in theory is more efficient.

2 Likes

Ban the developer’s account? Log the developers ip when they make a token and ban the ip? Lots of options.

That’s the method I thought of. Not IPs as that isn’t a thing. I never said they would use the IPs to identify

4 Likes

Why log the developer’s IP?

So if they come back to create a new token with the same IP they can’t cause they spammed. (yes, I know there are simple ways to get around this, but that’s the same for banning the host IP too)

1 Like

Instead of sending extra properties like project name or user name etc, Glitch can add the X-Forwarded-For header. And Discord could trust the Glitch’s proxy. That way Glitch could determine which users are bad and which are good.

That is a potential much easier method of doing it, because Discord already have trusted proxies. Adding Glitch’s is a small task.

1 Like

That’s a bad idea because IP address ban can result in a lot of people being baned because of IP sharing. At some point there was a whole country with the same IP address… You can do IP rate limits but not IP bans.

That must be a really small country.

Anyway, IP bans is actually rather genius. However I blame Glitch for the Glitch IP bans. I believe it is in Glitch’s place to make sure that no malicious bot on Glitch. If they find a malicious bot they should suspend the project and ban the user by their IP address and/or their HWID if they have that, also ban their social media accounts.

2 Likes

I doubt Discord would put in the effort to do that since they don’t really gain anything from it.

As @ihack2712 said, depending on the way they implement it, it would probably be a simple task, but you are probably right and they probably won’t care. Worth a try though as if they do implement it, it would be great for Glitch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These bans are so annoying. Almost all my bots got banned. Maybe they can put like a button in the editor that requests to be moved to a new server so it’s faster and bots can get back on faster since it goes straight to the staff.

Like when everything is sort of getting back to normal boom IP banned and it’s offline.