Trouble updating webpack on the starter-react project

I have some troubles updating webpack on the starter-react project: https://glitch.com/edit/#!/starter-react

When I bump the version, to ~4.8 or even 4.1.2 instead of 4.1.1, or even downgrade to 4.1.0, this is the error I get:

Installing...

WARN  webpack > watchpack > chokidar: Skipping failed optional dependency fsevents@1.2.3

Packages: +48 -38

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------------------

ERROR  ENOTDIR: not a directory, rename '/rbd/pnpm-volume/7b3082d5-1d99-4bcf-a35c-e59577f63572/node_modules/.registry.npmjs.org/@webassemblyjs/wasm-parser/1.4.3/node_modules/@webassemblyjs/_tmp_7385_79f7cf186681f861ae22d14aa9db3125' -> '/rbd/pnpm-volume/7b3082d5-1d99-4bcf-a35c-e59577f63572/node_modules/.registry.npmjs.org/@webassemblyjs/wasm-parser/1.4.3/node_modules/@webassemblyjs/wasm-parser'

/etc/app-types/node/start.sh: line 43: webpack: command not found

This problem does not appear locally, so I’m not sure where to start debugging the problem.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

Hi,

We will take a look :slight_smile: thanks for the feedback! I hope to get back to you shortly

1 Like

Just ran into this issue. Any updates?

Edit: Just realized I forgot to add the webpack-cli dependency to package.json… that was probably it (fingers crossed).

Edit 2: Nope. Going to try downgrading the version of webpack and webpack-cli to match the starter project.

Hi!

One of the dependencies of the latest webpack declares itself as a dependency in its package.json, creating a loop that pnpm wasn’t handling correctly. A new version with the fix will be available soon, but in the meantime you can either downgrade to webpack 4.7.0, or run enable-npm in the console, to use npm instead of pnpm.